Question about the anti-stress ST6

Hi all.

Had a bit of a arse of a week with the chipper.

On Tuesday the rollers on the ST6 stopped going forwards (only reverse), then if I pressed the stop button they wouldn't go at all. Now I've switched the solenoids over and then the electrics and have the issue down to a faulty wire (or at least I believe so). So for now I've switched the forward and reverse wires over for now and ordered a new wire. Let's not get in to the health and safety side of things here It's to get by for now and the lads using the chipper aren't idiots.

Anyway, the anti-stress has started playing up and if you put anything bigger than 4" in to the machine it just bogs down and cuts out. I'm just wondering if this might be linked to the solenoids/wiring or if this is a different issue all together.

Does anyone know exactly the process behind the anti-stress system on an ST6 I', assuming there is a sensor next to the flywheel but I can't seem to find anything. I'm hoping its not another problem on top of another one but guessing it might be.

Also just to add to this does anyone sharpen there on chipper blades? I've got a decent wet stone but wouldn't be able to do the full length of the blade without setting up some sort of jig or I was thinking maybe of using a belt sander as I'd get more of a straight edge as opposed to the curve you would get with a wheel (leaving it with a weaker tip).

Any input on any of these questions would be great.

Thanks in advance people.

Stress control runs off the alternator, like on most Kubota engines. First check, fan belt tight? 

We’ve been out to multiple chippers over time with reported bogs out on anything 4”. It’s usually blocked fuel tank / pipe work / filters causing a lack of supply. Enough fuel to run on low revs ok...

Where are you based, we charge £10 plus a blade to sharpen. 

Stress control runs off the alternator, like on most Kubota engines. First check, fan belt tight? 

We’ve been out to multiple chippers over time with reported bogs out on anything 4”. It’s usually blocked fuel tank / pipe work / filters causing a lack of supply. Enough fuel to run on low revs ok...

Where are you based, we charge £10 plus a blade to sharpen. 

That’s great thank you.

I know there is good fuel getting through because I checked that. The belts we alright as well.

I’m thinking the issue might be more due to the fact the forward and reverse electrics have been switched so the system thinks the rollers are in reverse so it’s not activating the sensor for the flywheel and and the anti-stress.

I’m based in Bristol.

Appreciate the input. I’m going to get to the yard tomorrow and set the multi-metre up and go through the electrics.

Cheers

Hi all.

Had a bit of a arse of a week with the chipper.

On Tuesday the rollers on the ST6 stopped going forwards (only reverse), then if I pressed the stop button they wouldn't go at all. Now I've switched the solenoids over and then the electrics and have the issue down to a faulty wire (or at least I believe so). So for now I've switched the forward and reverse wires over for now and ordered a new wire. Let's not get in to the health and safety side of things here It's to get by for now and the lads using the chipper aren't idiots.

Anyway, the anti-stress has started playing up and if you put anything bigger than 4" in to the machine it just bogs down and cuts out. I'm just wondering if this might be linked to the solenoids/wiring or if this is a different issue all together.

Does anyone know exactly the process behind the anti-stress system on an ST6 I', assuming there is a sensor next to the flywheel but I can't seem to find anything. I'm hoping its not another problem on top of another one but guessing it might be.

Also just to add to this does anyone sharpen there on chipper blades? I've got a decent wet stone but wouldn't be able to do the full length of the blade without setting up some sort of jig or I was thinking maybe of using a belt sander as I'd get more of a straight edge as opposed to the curve you would get with a wheel (leaving it with a weaker tip).

Any input on any of these questions would be great.

Thanks in advance people.
I've got an st6 and mine is doing the same as yours, have you managed to find anything out yet, all I've done is take the stop button of, clean it put it back, fixed it for about ten minutes, now the no stress is messing about.
It's been messing about for a while, but it's got progressively worse.
Probably will have to ring there workshop to get some advice, as it's beyond me.

On 05/05/2020 at 17:47, matthawh1966 said:

I've got an st6 and mine is doing the same as yours, have you managed to find anything out yet, all I've done is take the stop button of, clean it put it back, fixed it for about ten minutes, now the no stress is messing about.
It's been messing about for a while, but it's got progressively worse.
Probably will have to ring there workshop to get some advice, as it's beyond me.

Hi Mate, Sorry I missed this post of yours.

Mine is still playing funny buggers but I've pinned it down to something in the electrical box. As I switched over the solenoids so it would start in forwards as opposed to reverse the system through it was in reverse and didn't have the anti-stress on hence the cutting out. But I have since swapped them back and the anti-stress is fine, chews through big stuff no issue.

I have had solenoids off and checked the pins, which are fine. Replaced a cable but still had the issue sometimes. now if it happens I'm opened up the electrical box while the machine is running wiggling everything about for a bit until it works. Not ideal but it'll get me by for now. I don't really have time to get it in to redwood as I'm flat out but might look in to the cost of a new electrical box (but I'm assuming I will not like the price of one of those (They look like a sparkys wet dream)).

Have you managed to find the issue on yours? Fingers crossed for you mate.