Thinning to assist boundry repair

Afternoon.

I have 6 acres of Deciduous woodland comprising of mainly silver birch and hazel of varying maturity.

Parts of the wood are a mess but where I have worked it's OK.

I have a very poor boundry that needs repairing and to finance this, I feel that offering part of the wood, say 1/6 of the wood to someone to fell / thin in part payment for a fence. Does this sound mad? Is 1/6 enough.

How is the best way to divide the wood into areas for clearing / thinning etc?

How is the best way to advertise the wood up for grabs?

Do people pay for the wood by the ton or area?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Christopher

Christopher,

Someone here will undoubtedly help you with this issue. No need to advertise.

Where are you based?

I completed a five acre thinning this year, we divided it up into "forestry chains".

Have you looked into Woodland Grant Schemes for managing your woodland?

Doug Blease

i would suggest finding out what funding is available for woodland management locally, as you may beable to get into a forestry commission scheme which would help pay towards thinning the wood if required and helping with stock exclusion (although there could be an issue with this if its a boundary fence with a neighbour)

either that or if you own more land you could try and get into another land-based scheme, which has options for woodland management, but these are to some extent location dependant, so knowing which area your in would help in steering you towards possible sources of funding

"hard to see 1 acre of thinnings producing much income.....why not thin the whole wood, get a price per ton at roadside from contractor for the firewood "

Not everything has to be at maximum production to achieve good results. One acre of Hazel coppice can produce a good amount of timber.

Small scale, low impact forestry for biodiversity/environmental improvement.

Our small thinning took three days for two guys. Primary aim was quality regeneration of native species including self seeding Scots Pine. But secondary aims were access for a community and birch firewood produce for one household.

Demand for this type of work is increasing.

Edited by Doug Blease

OK, Woodland Grant Schemes has not been considered.

I am in Devon, woodland is near Exbourne if anyone knows where that is.

The wood is quite dense, has not been touched for about 50 yrs. It has taken me 6 yrs at weekend to get it looking better.

I have no issues with the boundry, access is good.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Christopher