A consumers guide to qualifications

Frimsley

Hidden

There's been a bit over in another thread about the fact that tree-care.info will only list AA Approved contractors, ISA Certified Arbs and Trustmark registered companies in their Find an Arborist section.

Well I'm afraid that's not going to change. We can't expose ourselves to the risk of listing companies that are not subject to ongoing assessments of competence.

But we are aware that there are a lot of very competent arbs out there who don't go through these schemes. We've already got references to this, and some generic advice on how to choose an arb, what questions to ask etc. What I'd like to add is a kind of "Consumers guide to arborist qualifications".

There's a bewildering array out there, guaranteed to confuse the average consumer. You've worked hard for your RFS Cert, and proudly advertise the fact. But how is your potential customer to know that this any better than the next ad in the Yellow Pages with the bland "ntpc qualified"?

So what qualifications do you lot think I need to include, and what should I say about them? Not that I'm guaranteeing to take any notice

Hidden

At the end of the day mr Frimsley, unfortunately I find that most people, (private clients) really couldnt care less whether you are Dip-cert, Isa,AA Rfs, RAC or whatever. All they care about is getting value for money, and hopefully decent quality work, oh and the lawn raked clean at the end of the day. Qualifications mean absolutely sweet FA to Joe Public. This is a great shame, but the way it is.

Hypothetically, if you require a tradesman to carry out a task at your property, would you go to Yellow Pages/phone book, ring a mate and ask him who he uses, or go online to Tradespersons Qualification Bureau to make sure he had every ticket in place to wipe the snot off the end of his nose. IMO most people go by recommendation, and if they like you they use you, pure and simple.

Saying this, I would like to see the public better informed, to erase the fly-by-nights outta the way for ever. Good luck.