Arb Assoc. critcises BBC over tree planting programe.

Andy Clark

Poor presentation by the BBC Im afraid. A little research would have gone a long way....Its easy to see how Nick got a bit carried away imo with the list of criticisms...

Am I surprised by the total lack of input from the beeb? Probably not.

Did they need to handle it with more respect and poignancy ( think Copenhagen) ? Deffo.

Was it patronising? Oh yeah

Do they pay themselves too much? You betcha...

do I go on?---->>

Poor presentation by the BBC Im afraid. A little research would have gone a long way....Its easy to see how Nick got a bit carried away imo with the list of criticisms...

Am I surprised by the total lack of input from the beeb? Probably not.

Did they need to handle it with more respect and poignancy ( think Copenhagen) ? Deffo.

Was it patronising? Oh yeah

Do they pay themselves too much? You betcha...

do I go on?---->>

Are you sure???? :confused1:

I mean, let's keep it in context of the programme......

It was a quick 2ish min intro into the basics. Based on that fact alone, I fail to see any need for him to even comment, let alone criticise.

If it was intended in the vein of a full-on half hour special covering the finer intricacies of tree planting, then fine, add critique. But then make it founded and factual...... the ins and outs of compost choice, removing glazing from the hole, planting depth so as not to exceed the root collar, low stake vs high stake..... even go as far as to highlight the use of mycorrhiza to aid root establishment.

Yes, perhaps the beeb should have more coverage and airtime on subjects such as this.... but if they get slammed for taking even a small step, then it's hardly gonna be a hot topic that they're going to want to cover again.

But even then, if they did, wouldn't they talk to the U.ks largest tree planting organisation, The Tree Council, and it's 8,000 Tree Wardens?

Reading his critique then it does make you wonder how on earth trees manage to reproduce in the wild!?

I don't know enough on the subject to comment but even if what he says it's true making planting a tree that complicated is going to put anyone off doing it.

What's wrong with just digging a hole and putting it in the ground?!

Andy, Ill be honest mate...I didnt see it.

" Reading his critique then it does make you wonder how on earth trees manage to reproduce in the wild!? "

I agree with this.

"making planting a tree that complicated is going to put anyone off doing it."

I agree with this also.

I did say I thought the level of criticism was ott...but as a prof body representing the industry.....maybe he should say nowt. But that doesnt represent the industry does it mate?

Why "fume" over a 2 min slot anyway?

"if they did, wouldn't they talk to the U.ks largest tree planting organisation, The Tree Council, and it's 8,000 Tree Wardens? "

Im not sure I would.....the point is, in two mins tv, they made a raft of errors...The money spent on research could easily have ironed this out. They didnt do it. They ballsed up a 2 min slot. Its lazy. Its unfortunate timing too imo. They get paid too much

The BBC charter is thus:

Educate, Inform & Entertain.....in that order.

Its a two min slot. Its forgotten by the time you put the kettle on. The BBC however have a greater responsibility IMO.

cheers.

Edited by Bundle 2

mmm, it is unfair for the representative of the AA to judge the bbc in this manner, may i suggest there is a little of the publicity game at play here!

dont think too much about it myself, at the end of the day any publicity for the benifit of trees and wildlife is good publicity.

More importantly a great many trees were planted, and general awarness raised.

may i be so bold as to suggest what I think a more suitable approach to the matter would have been?

dear BBC thank you for increasing publicity for trees, but may i suggest a few pointers in future programmng? instead of alienating them and having their backs up, are the bbc going to approach the AA now? we shall see.

I think there may be something more endemically afoot with BBC than has been reported here.

Arboricultural Association director criticises BBC's Watchdog show featuring rogue trader, Shaun Varey | Horticulture Week

Many of us commented on the screening of a BBC production that focussed on arboriculture, and frankly we were not atall happy with the result...Good on the AA. The road to a raised profile and sense of professional belonging is no doubt beset with criticism and rebuttal....

The BBC are publicly funded and need to be transparently managed for the greater good...

Having worked within the media I know that research funding need not be be so blatantly mismanaged frankly!

Edited by Bundle 2

I think there may be something more endemically afoot with BBC than has been reported here.

Arboricultural Association director criticises BBC's Watchdog show featuring rogue trader, Shaun Varey | Horticulture Week

Many of us commented on the screening of a BBC production that focussed on arboriculture, and frankly we were not atall happy with the result...Good on the AA. The road to a raised profile and sense of professional belonging is no doubt beset with criticism and rebuttal....

The BBC are publicly funded and need to be transparently managed for the greater good...

Having worked within the media I know that research funding need not be be so blatantly mismanaged frankly!

I see, wel in this case it seems he has a very good point, maybe the response to the "other" issue was due to losing the will! as for this bit...

Eden added he planned to approach the BBC with a follow-up story about another rogue tree surgeon who is "10 times worse".

mmmm we know who that is! I could add a few more like him too!

Dear Nick, i take it back, GO ON SON!

Eden added he planned to approach the BBC with a follow-up story about another rogue tree surgeon who is "10 times worse".

Wouldn`t the Arb Assoc be better off getting good tree work shown on TV, rather than involving itself in some kind of rogue trader witch-hunt?

Wouldn`t the Arb Assoc be better off getting good tree work shown on TV, rather than involving itself in some kind of rogue trader witch-hunt?

I can assure you that the Arboricultural Association would welcome any opportunity to promote good tree care on TV. It's unfortunate though that the media isn't necessarily interested.

You only have to look at the TV schedules to see that there is a fixation on the negative side of things - negative stuff is usually more newsworthy.

Furthermore, the AA has no control and up to now has had little, if any, input or influence over the anything tree related on the BBC or any other channel, but not for the want of trying.

Nick Eden has worked very hard in just getting the BBC to talk to us over the rogue trader programme. All his effort may still come to nothing if the BBC decides that something else is more important or headline grabbing.

The tree care industry, regrettably, is way down the agenda as far as the media is concerned. I have had some involvement in trying to change this but believe me it ain't easy.

The fact that the AA / Nick Eden have managed to get into discussions with the BBC over Rogue Traders is a major step forward. If given the opportunity I am sure that Nick will do his best to promote good tree care. You should be aware though that, whatever Nick says, the programme makers may cut or edit his input so that he doesn't get chance to put across as much as either he or we would like. I understand that the 'tree' bit in the last RT programme was originally intended to be quite a lot longer but somebody decided that the item on dodgy BMWs was more newsworthy.