New Saw - Need an upgrade

JC1234

So guys, had my Husqy 236 for a while now and it’s alright but recently been given permission to cut some trees down that the 236 just isn’t gonna handle so I need something with a bit more grunt. Suggestions welcome but personally prefer Husqy’s but will consider others. Second hand or new. 

Hi JC1234

Some more information would help those in the know give some advise,

such as the average size of wood you intend to cut,

how quickly you want to cut it, and any other important information,

for example did you get a half acre of trees on a huge slope, wouldn't want to be holding a huge saw on that kind of ground.

How much experience do you have with sawing, in the post refereed to just above people brought up a good point concerning the temperament and usability of some saws especially in the hands of people who do not have a lot of experience.

Once you know your limits, and the size of wood your going to tackle and how quickly you wish to get through it, there are many brands that are worth investing in.

I've had Husky, Jonsered, Stihl, Makita and Echo, they all make saws that differ slightly and this makes a saw from one brand may be more suitable than than what brand A has to offer.

My next saw is going to be a smallish Makita EA4300, a saw I did not consider until I bought a small Echo with a narrow bar and chain, and was pleasantly surprised at how this thin setup sliced through wood.

You can't go wrong with Makita / Dolmar or Echo, they are simple saws with a carb, no electronic fuel management system, like Husqvarna and Stihl have, if I were cutting wood to make a living I would probably chose a saw with an electronic fuel management system as it would pay for its self in a short time, unlike the firewood cutter who needs to keep cost down as his returns are no where near the same as for those getting paid to knock trees. These electronically managed saws also eliminate problems with going from low to high altitude as they adjust the fuel input to suit, they are also in most cases more fuel efficient too which matters when you use enough of the stuff especially in larger saws.

Second hand saws, if you can get one that was not abused are a good bet too, am sure there are members on here who have such items, new ones too, and hopefully you will get some offers.

Support is another factor, you need a good saw shop where you can get parts if needed, and work carried out when its time, no saw is worth a bean if you have no support or parts availability, thats why it pays to buy off a reputable dealer, more so if you don't intend or can't  fix your own saws.

If money is a factor, and it is for most, Makita / Dolmar and Echo are a good saw.

I like the new Husky saws too, they have the 545 mk 2 and its more lively big brother the 550xp, though some think these are not the best for cutting firewood, they are all over the Internet doing exactly that, I would agree they are not the saw for everybody, but depending on your situation they will certainly fly through the smaller wood with excellent results.

Either way, hope you get sorted

Edited by Echo

Here is a link to a sponsor, showing the Dolmar 420 saws, Dolmar are german, bought by Makita, very reliable saws, the larger 50cc is very well regarded, you will get the same saw as a Dolmar or Makita, just different colours here, in the US both brand names are now Red.

Edited by Echo