Sorry lads (and ladies!)

Xerxses

My apologies for a annoying post, but I have been searching and trawling after a posts for a while.....

Im looking for a post with a reversed humboltnotch that swung a tree round... I thing it was a video as well....

I totally crapped the post at the time...

but today it got me thinking....:blushing:

Anyone knows it and can point me to it?

Well I have to say....I sort of used this technique yesterday, and sort of stand corrected:blushing:

Got a quick job yesterday with high priority, that my boss asked me to squeeze in before carrying on with a bigger job I've been on all week...

Just 2 big dead pines that needed to come down. The winter is just showing here, ground is frosen and anything that hits the deck is bound to bounce (no snow yet) so dismantling wasnt really an option. I opted for straightfell...... first one wasnt a problem, just felled it along the road (Small forrest just beside a townroad) no problems. The second one was a bit harder; Roads on three sides so really just one direction, I wanted it down between two pines to make it easy for the lorry to pick it up, and me not having to shift it.

The trunk was completly dead so for safety i left the hinge bigger then I usually do, unfortunatly this made the tree fall slower then I expected and therefore didnt gain enough momentum to squeze throuhg the two trees and got stuck! Got the big fellingleaver out and tried to get the tree swinging and hopefully get it to move through, no luck.

Normal boring and cutting one side of the hinge wasnt an option since the tree was still sitting heavily on the stump, as the tree had just moved and opend up the hinge a bit. No winch since my collegue managed to break it the other week (thats another story...).

So I stood there scratching my head..............

Then I recalled something I read in that forum that I spend so much time at...and gaining knowledge......ARBTALK!

I remembered reading a thread about the soft dutchman and it got me thinking now.

So this is what i did;

I wedged the tree as tight as I could using my highlift wedge to put as much pressure as possible on the trees, carfully not to break my hinge. Then I bore cut and cut the right side of the hinge (this was the most likely way the tree could of twisted) then I cut "the corner" of the trunk at 45 degrees in such a way that it would slide easier. then i cut the stump in "soft dutchmen" style and as a last touch I cut the small piece of the "corner" of the stump that i had left so that the tree wouldnt pinch my saw. As son as I did that the tree slid down on the slanting side of the stump and twisted it self round and fell through!!!!!

Thank you Arbtalkers for sharing usefull knowledge!:thumbup:

No