Woodgas stoves

County4x4

Hi all,

With all this talk of jetboils and MSR stoves, I wondered if any of you had ever used a woodgas stove? Could be ideal for you guys surrounded by wood and stuff all day.

It's like a posh version of the hobo stoves you can make out of old tins, and uses a small fan powered by batteries. It will run on any old vegetable material as long as it's dry - twigs, pine cones etc. Only needs a couple of handfulls to fill it. Easiest way to light it is with a small chunk of firelighter placed in the top of the fuel - let it burn for a minute and then turn the fan on low or high depending on whether you want to simmer or boil up for a brew.

I run mine on standard wood pellets - a 10kilo bag would probably last all year. I have to say I was VERY impressed with the performance of this unit. I've used gas stoves, Primus and other paraffin copies, MSR's and others, and this was just as good. First try with it I used a heavy cast iron pan full of cold water and thought it would take ages, but once that fan goes on it was boiling away in minutes. The flame looks more like a gas stove when it's running - and I suppose it is as it's burning woodgas. Without the fan you just have a rather ineffective smoky fire in a pot - with it there's virtually no smoke and a LOT of heat.

There's a video of one in operation at Woodgas Stove Camping Equipment I have no connection with this site - though I used to sell these stoves in the UK a few years back. I do have one new one left for sale if anyone fancies it too.

Cheers,

Andy

Well I can certainly save you a bob or two on retail price mate! I'd be happy with £30 plus the postage, and I'll chuck in a pack of firesticks and some batteries to get it going as well. The only difference between mine and the one in the video is that the newest versions are a stainless finish, and this one I have is the original white stove enamelled finish.

Let me know if you want it and I'll price up sending it to you.

Cheers,

Andy