Another Pre Christmas break in

Woodee

Christmas is coming and the lazy workshy thieving scum are out and about Last night under cover of the howling wind some lowlife broke into my container in the Dorking area and stole my 10' and 14' henchman tripods Also tried to syphon the diesel out of my chipper but managed to spill it all over the floor. I'm glad they didn't see the drums of diesel at the back of the container!!! Anyway this is really just a reminder/rant that as Christmas approaches people who don't like hard graft or any graft are after our hard earned kit to pay for their Yuletide festivities My welder recons they used big bolt croppers like tin snips to cut along the seams of the lock cover and then peeled it open like a chocolate orange with some stilsons They couldn't break the padlock so cut the eye off  Thanks to Bugsey for coming out straight away to weld a much thicker steel plate cover with inch thick bar around the base 

So that's me down over a grand today but it could have been much worse. I've even jacked up the chipper and removed the wheels as I'm that paranoid now.It really pisses me off I have to spend so much time locking and unlocking all my kit everyday just because some tosser can't go and earn their own money

Anyway keep your eyes open and your kit locked up Deep breath pint of beer aaaaaaaaaaaaand relax

Rant over for now

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story a blacksmith told me years ago.

He'd just done a couple of days work making a steel frame to cover the front of a set of office drawers (they contained the paper work for a court case - can't remember what at the moment, a celebrity, murder or something like that). looked good, very secure from the front and made to the design he was given until he pointed out that a domestic can opener would open the back up almost as quick as taking the 3 padlocks off the front.  

In a previous job we had a couple of warehouses to look after - great until one day we didn't have the keys so the spark showed us where the metal cladding had never been fastened down, could be pulled back and  in you went (it was a grain warehouse so not a lot to steal in there unless you were a rat or flying rat)

Point is that your only secure a the weakest point - Woodees containers lock and cover were too strong so they went to through the container walls itself. But how far do you have to go to secure your kit? not sure what you can do if they're determined

Pains me to hear this and it's happening all too often at the moment. All you can really do is your best in order to deter them with more locks, alarms and cameras etc and above all...make sure you meet your insurers requirements so they have no wriggle room. If they want it that bad they will have it.