Stihl asa85

richy_B

I'm on lime pruning over summers. Cutting BG and epicormic of around 3000 - 3500 limes. I like a nice clean cut so tend to favour secateurs. My falcon 10 (left handers) have been my weapon of choice. My hands and forearms are getting more and more sore as I get older though so I decided to give these a try.

Stihl ASA 85 cordless shears. First impressions are: expensive! Heavier than I thought and a lot more going on technologically than I expect. I pretty much feel like robocop with it on. Comes with a back pack with all the gubbins and I bought an ap3000 battery which is supposed to give 600 minutes of use.

First day in the field tomorrow. 7a63a67c2eb9a17da1b21a0dd207c984.jpg8ed69ea33d5b24e5a050b09217c3697b.jpg

I'll up date this as to how I get on as these are quite rare bits of kit and the review might help others.

69585645ce7c68730501957def2ca92a.jpg

Having clocked up over 7500 cuts I can say I like them. These have been 30-40mm limes branches so nothing too major but by now my hands would be aching if using manual snips. The backpack is comfortably and light so you barely know it's there. The cutters are heavier than snips but you soon adjust and because I am essentially just holding them in place and pressing a button it's pretty easy going compared to squeezing every time. I could manage a 8 hour shift using them no bother. They have impressive power as well - I chopped up 80mm robinia branch and it felt effortless.

By the end of the season and an estimated half million cuts I'll know for sure but thumbs up so far.

I think if you doing 5-7 metre limes (on bus routes for example) from a MEWP then these would make an awesome combo.