Building woodland shelter

Hunter

I built a single pitch shed like you have described 8 ft by 70 ft though was all mismatch leftovers from a timber yard did it with 2 people though so was easy but no joints just put the whole thing together with timberlocks some i think where 18 inch very quick though not neat but easy

Just need an impact wrench and some big g clamps

Depending on the size you intend to use i doubt there is much real need for any timber that isnt easily moved by hand just build the two ends lying down put a diagonal support going in the air pull it upright and it will sit on this support do the other end the screw together for sumplest solution

Or if you want really nice could look at mortice and tennon joints can be done with a drill and chisel easy enough

I built a single pitch shed like you have described 8 ft by 70 ft though was all mismatch leftovers from a timber yard did it with 2 people though so was easy but no joints just put the whole thing together with timberlocks some i think where 18 inch very quick though not neat but easy

Just need an impact wrench and some big g clamps

Depending on the size you intend to use i doubt there is much real need for any timber that isnt easily moved by hand just build the two ends lying down put a diagonal support going in the air pull it upright and it will sit on this support do the other end the screw together for sumplest solution

Or if you want really nice could look at mortice and tennon joints can be done with a drill and chisel easy enough

What is timberlock?

Thanks for the top advice. Yes I thought about halving the logs to use less trees and help with lifting. I am not sure how I can keep the posts off the ground? And would appreciate any ideas. Can I use post spike? Or the whole building will be blown away?

If you look at the heavier structures (including a couple of the ones with pictures in this thread) they are resting on stone pads on the ground, not actually fixed down to it. I would also add a rail low down myself if I was doing this, to reduce the potential for any sideways movement of the uprights at the base. Coincidentally, my whole house is built like this and is not technically fixed down to anything. It has lasted 500yrs+ so the method seems sound enough!

If it is in a wood it should be sheltered enough not to blow away, particularly if you put the entrance out of the prevailing wind, which I would guess you want to do anyway.

If you need to anchor it down, I would concrete in steel strip (pre-drilled), bringing the concrete a few inches above ground level, then bolt the steel through to the uprights.

You might find this thread useful:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/woodcraft-forum/88433-green-larch-timber-frame.html

It's a bit more formal than your construction and bear in mind that you are planning to use more of a box frame structure so won't have the same loading on your uprights. Plus, I am presuming you are not subject to building control and can therefore scale down a bit as you won't have to prove calculations.

Alec

I think on the construction method a lot depends on how much pleasure is in the doing and how much in the using.

If being there building it and working with wood is something you really enjoy then I would look at a jointed construction. It is more 'crafted' which can be really satisfying and if you really wanted to it would be possible to construct the whole structure without any metalwork at all. I wouldn't worry too much about experience - it isn't too difficult to do it well enough that it will last, you can always ask for ideas about how to do particular things on here and there is a lot of tolerance to bad joints, with some suitable fixes available if you mess it up!

If you just want to get it up quickly so that you can enjoy using it, minimum jointing and maximum use of metalwork is the way to go.

Alec