chainsaw protection tested

nottsarb

Really, christ. Never heard of anyone getting it on the arm, but im sure it happens alot. Funny, im always feel confident when i have the old pants, but never wear any chainsaw protect between my head and waist.

Just out of interest, did you lose grip of the saw during the kick back or where both of your hands still in the correct position on contact with your arm. Just trying to visualise this as i have never experienced violent kick back before.

I have been "lucky" several times with the bite of a saw, 2 cuts to my legs (without protection, and 2 to the tip of the same finger (cut and chuck)

the worst was my knee and "fortunatley the saw ran over my knee joint and due to the thin muscle layers there just chipped me a little and opened up my knee, bones are incredibly white and shiny! oh I was "lucky" that i missed the tendons running either side of my knee by millimetres too.

i climbed out and rather than let the shock wear off and be stuck i walked out (hobbled0 to an easy location for the ambulance, i just kept walking till i met them coming!

they said when they saw me waving them down that i was a time waster but then when they saw the injury decided i really should have not tried to do them any favours!

lessons to be learnt boys and girls, wear your protection, ALWAYS.

It happened so quick and twelve years ago, I never really where jackets normaly but I had it on as a bit of extra protection from the blackthorn, I was clearing the thorns around a sycamore ready to fell out of the hedge line it had grown up round the fence, so the tip of the bar hit and the saw kicked back my left hand was in proper position on handle I guess cause I was close to where I was cutting ie my arms were slightly bent there was less distance for the saw to cover so my wrist did not engage the chain break. The saw hit the side of my helmet glancing off and hitting my shoulder and cut out pretty instantly as it hit the kevlar. Like I said though it happened so quickly. I remember reading an article from hse that a chainsaw kick back can hit your shoulder and be through your shoulder and beyond in less than a second and after that incident I belive them

Thanks for sharing, scary stuff mate. Like i said never experienced violent kick-back or kick back i wasn't anticipating. Its an discomforting thought when your using a saw, especially for someone like myself - a weekend enthusiast but a good thing to be aware of every time you pick up a saw.

I have been "lucky" several times with the bite of a saw, 2 cuts to my legs (without protection, and 2 to the tip of the same finger (cut and chuck)

the worst was my knee and "fortunatley the saw ran over my knee joint and due to the thin muscle layers there just chipped me a little and opened up my knee, bones are incredibly white and shiny! oh I was "lucky" that i missed the tendons running either side of my knee by millimetres too.

i climbed out and rather than let the shock wear off and be stuck i walked out (hobbled0 to an easy location for the ambulance, i just kept walking till i met them coming!

they said when they saw me waving them down that i was a time waster but then when they saw the injury decided i really should have not tried to do them any favours!

lessons to be learnt boys and girls, wear your protection, ALWAYS.

Thanks for the reminder dude, even those 'bites' sound horrific. Thanks for sharing.

There's been a few cuts at work. One went up the seem of the protection and caused a small cut. Another went through the trousers again a small cut. Both of these didn't need stitches. Another guy somehow managed to cut Another guys arm, not sure how that happened, but that needed a few sticker.

• 2 weeks later...