Ustulina Deusta

scale90

Hi, I had an emergency call out yesterday afternoon where a lime had failed at the roots. On inspection I found that it was suffering from Ustulina Deusta.

The client asked if the other tree's (all Limes) could be infected. I had a good look for any fruiting bodies but none were present, however the Lime next to the failed tree appears to be in decline. Due to there being a fair amount of die back in the upper crown.

Could the decay of passed through the root system etc.

Kretzschmaria (Ustulina) deusta is a sapwood exposed strategist and spreads by spiting its spore (ascomycete) as opposed to dropping its spore (basidiomycete)

The spore enters the tree through wounds in the trunk, buttress and exposed root bark.

As the spore will be everywhere it doesn't require root grafting (anastomosis) to spread its mycelium to other local trees.

Kretzschmaria (Ustulina) deusta is a sapwood exposed strategist and spreads by spiting its spore (ascomycete) as opposed to dropping its spore (basidiomycete)

The spore enters the tree through wounds in the trunk, buttress and exposed root bark.

As the spore will be everywhere it doesn't require root grafting (anastomosis) to spread its mycelium to other local trees.

I recall reading somewhere (either Mattheck or Lonsdale) that there is some evidence that K. deusta may be actively pathogenic. Have you come across this? It might also need nothing other than a dead tap root site to gain entry and, being capable of working in anaerobic or near anaerobic conditions, it can be hollowing out a butt with no outward sign of infection and very litte evidence of canopy decline until the last few years.

I recall reading somewhere (either Mattheck or Lonsdale) that there is some evidence that K. deusta may be actively pathogenic. Have you come across this? It might also need nothing other than a dead tap root site to gain entry.........

I don't think I have Jules.

Neither David Lonsdale or Claus Mattheck suggest this in ' Principles' or Manual of Wood Decays' respectively.

Heinz Butin suggests that Kd is a sapwood exposed strategist.

If you find the reference I would be interested :thumbup1:

It's also noted and seen often, as a necrotrophic saprophyte.

Persisting on dead stumps for many years.

I don't think I have Jules.

Neither David Lonsdale or Claus Mattheck suggest this in ' Principles' or Manual of Wood Decays' respectively.

Heinz Butin suggests that Kd is a sapwood exposed strategist.

If you find the reference I would be interested :thumbup1:

It's also noted and seen often, as a necrotrophic saprophyte.

Persisting on dead stumps for many years.

OK, I,ll try and track it down over the next couple of days.

I came across a good case today, k.d up at 3m on an old substem breakage on a Norway Maple (1200mm diameter), rarely seen it so high up but the rotted stub was caked wit telemorphs. I couldn't believe it was compartmentalised to just one side of the tree in saprophytic mode, so I took an increment bore on the adjacent stem, and there it was about 2 inches in. Alas the whole tree may have to go.

Found it! "Fungal Strategies ..." Schwartze Engels and Mattheck p84 says '... Greig's study (1989) on a horse chestnut avenue indicates that Ustulina [sic] deusta may also spread from affected trees to healthy trees via root contacts. Moreover there are indications that the fungus can spread in the soil in mycelial formand infect neighboring trees (sinclair et al 1987).'

I suspect that I have both the referred publications, but that's enough for one evening's research. what think you or anyone about the possibility of active pathogenicity in K.d?

Intriguing, I remember a well versed Dutch mycologists stating that there was (as far as he was aware) no studies that had proved that.

I'll give it a read tomorrow, thanks for tracking it down.

I'd be keen to hear what you find out. I have defiunitely seen examples of K.d whole-tree failures that had no outwrd signs of infection and no above-surface sapwood entry point anywere near th failure zone. It has always suggested dead taproot entry. Armillaria as an actively pathogenic infecter seems consistent with its mode of cambium killing, but it is a much bigger step in my mind for a heartwood rotter like K.d to cross the cambium on the way in.

Hi David,

I've been back on the site today and checked the remaining trees for fruiting bodies etc. One is showing fruiting bodies approximately quarter of the way around the stem approximately 4" up the stem from ground level. The crown is also showing signs of die back. The stem has a heavy lean towards a main road (constant flow of traffic), the railings/wall of the opposite property and the stone boundary wall of the site. The tree is covered by a T.P.O.

Would I be right to advise in the felling of the tree due to the risks involved if it were to fail. My gut feeling is to feel but I don't want to jump the gun.

Thanks