Fuel stabilizers in 2T oil?

Darkslider

Have done a search but not found any solid answers. I'm likely to only use my saw occasionally, and am worried about mixing up a 5l can of fuel and then having to bin most of it if it's not used after a couple of months. Due to cost and the distance to my nearest dealer Aspen is out of the question, so have been looking into adding a fuel stabilizer.

I see Briggs and Stratton have a product that is guaranteed to keep petrol stable for 24 months which sounds ideal, even if they are purported to use Aspen themselves! However my query is I've read in a few places that select Stihl 2T oils have stabilizers in them as well, so if I could find out which brand I needed it would be an all in one solution.

The Stihl USA site says their oils contain stabilizing agents, but I can't find any mention on the UK site. Do we get different oils to the States? If not, which one do I want to be buying for the best protection, HP, Super or Ultra?

Do we get different oils to the States?

In short, yes!

To clarify, whether or not this applies to garden/horticulture machinery oils I can't say, but it certainly applies to motorcycle, quad, snowmobile.

Certain oils that are available here are not over there and vice versa, some companies that are big players in the UK and Europe pretty much give the U.S. a miss. A lot of the manufacturers own branded products seem to play a much greater part in the market over there than they do here, for example, the "Yamalube" range I don't know if you can even get in Europe, certainly never seen any, yet it is widely used and very well regarded in the States at all levels. In the past you could see the GP team running in the States with Yamalube branding on the bikes and then it being removed for European races.

Don't know if this is due to regulation, trade agreements, market preferences or whatever, maybe a bit of all of them, but the two oil markets are very, very, different as far as I am aware. Someone else may be well aware exactly how this would translate to the chainsaw market.

The best stabilizer by far is the B3C Ethanol shield, but the Briggs will be OK.

I would not bank on 24 months though, with any stabilizer, 12 months at most.

As you say, Aspen is the ideal solution for you, apart from availability. As you are an occasional user the cost should not be an issue, its certainly cheaper than repairing the effects of stale fuel.

Have done a search but not found any solid answers. I'm likely to only use my saw occasionally, and am worried about mixing up a 5l can of fuel and then having to bin most of it if it's not used after a couple of months. Due to cost and the distance to my nearest dealer Aspen is out of the question, so have been looking into adding a fuel stabilizer.

I see Briggs and Stratton have a product that is guaranteed to keep petrol stable for 24 months which sounds ideal, even if they are purported to use Aspen themselves! However my query is I've read in a few places that select Stihl 2T oils have stabilizers in them as well, so if I could find out which brand I needed it would be an all in one solution.

The Stihl USA site says their oils contain stabilizing agents, but I can't find any mention on the UK site. Do we get different oils to the States? If not, which one do I want to be buying for the best protection, HP, Super or Ultra?

Hi,

Let me know where you are in the world and who you would like to stock Aspen and I will see if we can get a dealer in your area.

As Barrie says the extra cost of Aspen is less than the inconvenience and repair cost of having a problem.