Stihl 038 Magnum carb Bing 48/101C or Bing 48/101A?

Andy171

Hello. I have a Stihl 038 Magnum fitted with a Bing 48/101A carburettor. I have read a lot of posts on Arbtalk about problems getting chainsaws to run well when hot and have come to the conclusion that it may be time for a carb rebuild. (I have already changed the plug, checked the ignition coil air gap, replaced the fuel hose and pick up, impulse line and tank vent, so I am not exactly rushing into a carb re-build!)

I was just about to order a carb kit from L&S engineers when I noticed that my Stihl 038 parts list gives Bing 48/101C as the carb model and this is what L&S are quoting too. (While I have a Bing 48/101A)

So I have 3 questions:

1. What are the significant differences between a Bing 48/101C and Bing/ 48101A.

2. Will a carb kit for a Bing 48/101C fit a ...101/A.

3. As a matter of interest what chainsaw was a Bing 48/101A originally fitted to ie where did my carb come from?

Answers to any or all of the questions will be very helpful.

Many thanks

Andy

DSCF7674.jpg.5cb5374fa686c4f7ca0b137d09e43cda.jpg

DSCF7673.jpg.6119572330c33f49636ea2317b4f851c.jpg

DSCF7672.jpg.511aedd4e5ccf8a38c092a0711532e85.jpg

DSCF7668.jpg.8491543faa8a04bdac33665a9bb0eef8.jpg

1. What are the significant differences between a Bing 48/101C and Bing/ 48101A.

2. Will a carb kit for a Bing 48/101C fit a ...101/A.

3. As a matter of interest what chainsaw was a Bing 48/101A originally fitted to ie where did my carb come from?

1. There are no significant differences, in fact there may be no difference past the letter A or C

2. Yes

3. It was fitted to your saw, the C model was the last 'version' of that carb fitted to that saw, Stihl IPL's only show the most modern carb (or a significant variant) for a saw. The 051 had 4 different carbs, the Stihl contra/070/090 has had over 10 different variations of carbs, the only difference has been the high/low adjustment screw location, and then a plastic thing placed around them

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk