Advice on irrigation systems please.

Pete Tattam

I am a Town Council Tree warden and our group are currently planting street trees in verges around the town. as part of this operation we will also be assisting a primary school to plant a number of trees in their new wildlife area. They want to put in an irrigation system to use intermitently. My question is...is the use of a system in such a way practical or should it be left running continuously? Also is there a limit to the distance the system is viable over (there is a distance of 75m from water source to planted area and then 60m of area to be watered). water pressure in the area is good. Any manafacturers/suppliers recommended?

As an afterthought...what do you consider best protection for newly planted trees against the demon strimmer?

We've done several irrigation systems on private jobs. The weepy pipe is best as it works with low water pressure. The systems we have done have been a good couple of hundred metres plus, and water easily gets around the whole lot. We dig a narrow trench about 6 inches deep with a pick, put the pipe in, peg it down and bury it. Then chuck a load of mulch over the top to help retain moisture better. We also include in-line taps at certain junctions so that the supply to one area can be shut off or the flow reduced - handy for areas requiring less water. We set them up to be controlled by batter powered time switches. If you want any more info or want some practical on-the-job stuff then please feel free to ask. I'm also East Sussex.

I looked into buying stimmer guards but they were expensive.

So decided to use milk plastic 2 litre cartons to make them. They have being very effective strimmer guards.

prd00010.jpg

Turn them upside down cut the top of about halfway between handle top & the the cap top. Then make a hole above the handle bit & stick a bamboo cane thought the handle.

Kids in school could collect them.

They make very effective strimmer guards, I wonder if anyone elase has had the same idea?