Bat Inspection

benedmonds

I have some trees to fell which have had a bat survey and the trees have been classed as having a high potential for bats..

I've yet to see the report but how would I cover myself if I was to get the job to take the trees out. I'm guessing it was just a ground survey, should I insist that a climbing survey is performed before the works are undertaken..?

The client (a developer) suggested that leaving the logs on site for a day to let the bats fly off might be required... I'm sure that's not enough..

you will find that often the single males will use tress ocassionally...they can be used by as many as ten at different times....I recommend doing your own inspection b4 you work yourself, to cover yourself from accusations that you havent concerned yourself about the issue....

you need to tip toe about abit if they are really there...it is actually not so common that they use trees....not in preference over better habitats anyway....You will learn to look for the signs....if you find them you will be into lowering limbs...I recommend doing this anyway should you have reason to think they are present.

Hi ben. I dismantled a few trees 2 years ago that were suspected of having bats present. Did'nt take it that seriously to begin with, the 'expert?' claimed that i should use a small twig to poke in to the cavities to check for any present:confused1:

Not having any knowledge in the subject thats what i did, nearly fell out of the tree when my 3rd poke was greeted with a high pitched squeek! The cavity was then VERY carefully sectioned/lowered and left standing on the ground against a stem. All this was as per the instructions of the bat expert i believe (i was subing to another contractor). Hope this is of some help, Craig

Hi ben. I dismantled a few trees 2 years ago that were suspected of having bats present. Did'nt take it that seriously to begin with, the 'expert?' claimed that i should use a small twig to poke in to the cavities to check for any present:confused1:

Not having any knowledge in the subject thats what i did, nearly fell out of the tree when my 3rd poke was greeted with a high pitched squeek! The cavity was then VERY carefully sectioned/lowered and left standing on the ground against a stem. All this was as per the instructions of the bat expert i believe (i was subing to another contractor). Hope this is of some help, Craig

If that was a bat expert who told you to do that he is an idiot who could have got you prosecuted..... :scared1:

the 'expert?' claimed that i should use a small twig to poke in to the cavities to check for any present:confused1:

Lol I know I shouldnt laugh but "poking them with a stick" :lol: reminded me of Steve Erwin "This nasty little snakey fella doesnt like it when I poke em with a stick"

If a tree has been inspected from ground level (scoping Survey) it will only give you an idea of features that may be used by bats - a ground survey can still miss important features that are not visable from the ground......

If the trees have been classed as offering high potential you must investigate further (endoscope-bat detectors). We tend to carry out a climbing survey checking the whole tree for features:

-cavities

-cracks

-included bark

-ivy

-flaking bark etc etc..

once features are checked we use techniques to stop using the features after we leave and before tree works are carried out..

Depending on the potential of a tree its location and of course if bats are present or if bats have used a tree a licence must be applied for.

-------------

I noticed a comment about felling the tree or limb etc and leaving over night to let the bats escape... do not do this as again you will have disturbed any bats and broken the law.

Bats are alot more common in trees than people think and are generally not noticed as they are so small, there is the AA course for bats which is ok and does show you the basics of what to look for, it is important to remember that the course is very very basic, we are looking to do a course which will involve spending the entire day looking at features which we feel is more important to arborists than going into bat biology etc.

The important thing to remember is that disturbing bats is against the law and according to Natural England trying to use an excuse like i didnt realise bats were in the tree isnt good enough as you have a duty of care....

Hope that helps , will read over what i have put in the morning when i am wide awake and comment further.

:001_smile: