VISCAT assessment

launchster

Hi guys, does anyone know what a VISCAT assessment is in relation to soil type and subsidence and how it works?

A friends neighbour has had a subsidence survey done, because they believe the cracks that have appeared in their house are due to my friends sycamore tree, which is on the boundary. It is fairly close to the house, but i personally cant see that the tree is the issue, i think its just become the scapegoat. We are at the foot of the downs, so therefore on chalk, which i always thought was pretty permeable, so i didnt think soil shrinkage would be a huge problem.

Whats strange is at the beginning of the survey there is a geology report in which they state the local area is permeable chalk, yet by the end of the survey, the blame is due to clay shrinkage. Is it possible to have both, i'm no expert.

I might be being cynical but it seems the tree removal is their first step, as its an easy fix and my friend is being lumbered with the bill. Then if it doesn't solve the problem, they'll investigate further

There can be very localised clay deposits the size of a property or smaller. You can search the BGS data held for the location here: Geology of Britain viewer | British Geological Survey (BGS)

I would ask your friends neighbour to consult their home insurance provider and let them know. They may have legal cover that 'I think' might be suited to deal with the report blaming their tree. I imagine there's more to it than simply contacting their insurer.

Thank you, thats very interesting. I will recommend that to them.

Maybe its possible to have a chalk bedrock, with clay superficial. Then i suppose it would depend on the depth of the footings as to what they are sitting on.

Yeah basically that.

There are loads of other reasons for structural damage to houses. That would be the job of a structural engineer to prove.