346xp running poorly

sussexlad

hi all, saw running nicely today, dropping good size wood so got fairly warm. put it down and went for a cup of tea when i started it back up again it was running really badly. low revs top end and really 'lumpy' and rough is the best way to describe it. took plug out and it was black, cleaned it/ filter etc and then ran the engine for a while, still poor and plug looked a bit oily. any ideas? thanks:thumbup1:

hi all, saw running nicely today, dropping good size wood so got fairly warm. put it down and went for a cup of tea when i started it back up again it was running really badly. low revs top end and really 'lumpy' and rough is the best way to describe it. took plug out and it was black, cleaned it/ filter etc and then ran the engine for a while, still poor and plug looked a bit oily. any ideas? thanks:thumbup1:

The black plug means the saw is running rich which is unusual if the saw has been running fine before. It is worth checking that the air filter is clean and isn't causing a choke like effect on the carb.

Other than that, the H screw on the carb should be one turn out and if more will make the saw rev low flat out, smoke a bit and produce a black pliug. If the plug is graphite grey, be worried as it is a sign of overheating and may cause some damage.

If you get stuck, I know the saws inside out and can sort it oit PDQ for a reasonable price if you want otherwise, I may be able to help just by offering online help.

You may like to try lookng at the spark arrestor in the muffler. If this is blocked, it may cause similar issues to the ones you describe.

Whip the top cover off, by the side of the exhaust/muffler outlet will be a small screw, undo it and slide out the thin gauze arrestor - you can run the saw without it if not using the saw near tinder dry brash/undergrowth or just make sure it is clear of carbon/shyte and replace.

Worth a try and an easy job:thumbup:

cheers spud, i took out the gauze and also some of the fins on the cylinder had a thin layer of grime encrusted so i cleaned that off. it seems a bit better but i dont think its 100%, seems to need constant tuning. i start a new job on the 1st of october were i can use the saws provided, so i will run mine until then, and then maybe send it over to you and see what you think!:thumbup: thanks for the advice so far

cheers spud, i took out the gauze and also some of the fins on the cylinder had a thin layer of grime encrusted so i cleaned that off. it seems a bit better but i dont think its 100%, seems to need constant tuning. i start a new job on the 1st of october were i can use the saws provided, so i will run mine until then, and then maybe send it over to you and see what you think!:thumbup: thanks for the advice so far

No worries, PM me when you need my help or use the Spud phone - like Batmans one but bright Husqvarna Orange:lol:

I know the 346XP inside out, I ported mine and did a fair bit of work on it and am sure Stubby will be on here soon waxing lyrically about his Spud tuned one.....cheers Andy.:thumbup:

I am sure I can get it back to being the beast it is:biggrin: