Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Firewood forum Discuss Firewood production, storage and marketing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-08   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009

Standing Firewood

Does anyone buy coupes of firewood standing? I'm wondering what sort of prices people are paying, and what sort of yield they get. I've got an idea of prices for small coppice, but have no idea how much firewood size stuff fetches..my best guess is around 12/ cu. m.
Old 25-05-08   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickthorn View Post
Does anyone buy coupes of firewood standing? I'm wondering what sort of prices people are paying, and what sort of yield they get. I've got an idea of prices for small coppice, but have no idea how much firewood size stuff fetches..my best guess is around 12/ cu. m.
I was talking to a bloke the other day and he's paying 8 a tonne STANDING Up until last year I'd never payed more than 1 a tonne (and then it was more of a token gesture!)

Nice straightish hardwood thinnings up to around 12 inch diameter will get you the most at roadside - it's getting up to and past the 25 a tonne mark now and that's before haulage @ 10 a tonne average
Old 25-05-08   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sheppard View Post
Up until last year I'd never payed more than 1 a tonne (and then it was more of a token gesture!)

Nice straightish hardwood thinnings up to around 12 inch diameter will get you the most at roadside - it's getting up to and past the 25 a tonne mark now and that's before haulage @ 10 a tonne average
You've done well if you've been paying just 1/tonne. Everywhere I look, there's an agent or manager keen to get as much as possible for it, and the 12/tonne figure sticks in my mind from a few years back. I know the roadside price is higher now, so it wouldn't surprise me if people are asking more for it standing.

When you consider extraction would probably be around 8-10, you need the roadside price to be 25+ to make a reasonable living.
Old 25-05-08   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickthorn View Post
You've done well if you've been paying just 1/tonne. Everywhere I look, there's an agent or manager keen to get as much as possible for it, and the 12/tonne figure sticks in my mind from a few years back. I know the roadside price is higher now, so it wouldn't surprise me if people are asking more for it standing.

When you consider extraction would probably be around 8-10, you need the roadside price to be 25+ to make a reasonable living.
it was only a couple of years ago that 15 a tonne at roadside was the going rate around us - I always figured it was better off going in my shed and getting sold as logs

I tried wherever possible to go straight to the top - deal with the Estate owner rather than the typical* agent/manager with their spraycans and degrees in tree marking.

* there are exceptions to this stereotype ocasionally lol

Last edited by Chris Sheppard; 25-05-08 at 07:52 PM..
Old 28-05-08   #5 (permalink)

I'm paying 18 a tonne green and 20 a tonne one year old roadside, all around 10 - 12" diameter. Haulage is about 7 a tonne local loads or around 50 an hour dependant on who I use.

Last edited by Tom11; 28-05-08 at 09:26 PM..