Stihl 044 cylinder and piston

stewie

Been offered a 044 at a bargin price (£150 with new 20in bar and chain) off a farmer friend who had years until it stopped one day when cutting railway sleepers :sneaky2: I've got it up my mates shop now and he is basically saying I might get lucky on the chamber but if not he will only warrant a genuine stihl p/c or will fit a meteor at my own risk!! He is a good guy and won't let me waste my money on stuff he don't think is TRULY up to stihl standard so as always I'm after free advice off here :biggrin: have any of you used a meteor piston on a big saw and then used it heavily with good results, would you buy the saw and get the work done or just leave it well alone!!! Thanks in advance :thumbup1:

The issue won't be with the quality of the piston but with how well your friend cleans the cylinder and if he sorts out the cause of the seize correctly and tunes the carb to the correct revs for the saw.

Largest saw - done a few 395XPs and many MS660s all in profesional daily use, the longest in use must be 3-4 years+

That's good to hear!! Think I'll take a gamble then and buy the saw as I've seen the power heads alone fetch £150 for spares and repair on ebay and the bar and chain is worth £50 second hand!

Would you recommend a meteor spud or is there any other I should look out for?? And would you buy a new cylinder anyway or is it better to salvage the original??

there are plenty of patent parts availible go for a new piston and cylinder, i get my stuff fromebay its fromChina its called Hutzel ive just ordered a new petrol tank for my 034, the whole lot handle twin action trigger, fule pipe, petrol cap inc postage, £25 UK price £85 + its a no brainer, ive got a husky and the parts are top notch that ive fitted, exhaust in three parts UK price £50 China £8

That's good to hear!! Think I'll take a gamble then and buy the saw as I've seen the power heads alone fetch £150 for spares and repair on ebay and the bar and chain is worth £50 second hand!

Would you recommend a meteor spud or is there any other I should look out for?? And would you buy a new cylinder anyway or is it better to salvage the original??

It is always better to try to clean up the original cylinder than fitting an aftermarket one.. Meteor are the best pistons after the OEM part with Episan also being good and the likes of Golf and others coming after that.

I have used Meteor pistons in many saws in standard and tuned saws with no issues.