upgrade cabstar springs or twin wheel?

david419

hi all, my name is Dave and im new to the forums.

i have bought a 2002 cabstar tipper that i use for my turf laying work.

it was previously used for tree work hence the caged sides, toolbox and bf goodrich tyres.

trouble is that i loaded some topsoil on the back the other day and was shocked to see how low the body went. with only just over 1 ton

im thinking its because the body has been pushed back to allow room for the tool box and therefore more weight directly over the rear axle?

would fitting uprated leaf springs make much difference? a picture of the truck is below and any help would be great, thanks

Truck.jpg

Twin axles makes a massive difference. I have twin wheels on my cabstar. Nissan now fit uprated suspension as standard, and I had 2 tonne on once without any noticeable difference.

you can retro fit some more leaf springs, just not sure where you get them

yeah i think i will, just need to track them down, only need it to be able to carry 2 ton, which i know most normal cabstars will with ease, just mine has had the body moved back to fit a tool box,

are there any benefit of having the bf goodrich tyres? would it carry weight better with standard tyres?

I ve got a twin wheel cabstar just had a quote from paddington springs at £400 inc fitting.

The bfg tyres you have on may cause issues regarding insurance and mot time as they are not c rated and suitable for that vechicle. I know it's strange as you can easily have them on a Landy tipper but officially not others.

Maybe worth swapping them for general euro winter tyres instead. I am having mine fitted next week.