Stihl 038 + Husqvarna 51

Tom777

Newbie here!:wave:

I'm looking to buy a second hand saw. I needs to have a bit of guts as I'm to be doing some felling of fair size ash and oak with it. I've seen the horrendous prices some very nasty saws are fetching on e-bay and a new saw is out of the question.

A chap who owns a machinery place near to me has offered me either a Husqvarna 51 or a Stihl 038 for a reasonable price. However I'm not sure which to go for. I'm not familiar with the outboard clutch on the husky but the saw feels very light and compact and I'm quite taken with it. However it seems to have seen a fair bit of use although I'm assured it hasn't been used comercially.

The stihl saw is larger and heavier but seems to have been barely used. It is the basic farm model. Both have 18" bars and I'm more familiar with how Stihl saws are put together. I believe this has the 61cc motor, so more guts than the husky. Any ideas as to which would be the most suitable saw?

Many thanks in advance!

I'm trying to remember my DBH measurements, ash at about 8 to 12" at breast heaight (wide). Some of the oak up to say 14" and a lot of smaller trees. I know inches width isn't the usual industry measurment but I can't remember how DBH relates to size and couldn't tell you from just looking at them.

Given the approx sizes of the trees, I think I'd go for the Stihl, gives you a bigger powerhead, and the option to buy a larger bar/chain for the bigger timbers. More power, less strain for the engine. Plus the advantage of the Stihl is you are already familiar with them.

i like my huskys, but i think if these are the two you have a choice on then go for the stihl, although it will be quite a bit more weight to carry around,

that husky would be be on the limit with an 18" bar, where as the stihl will deal with it ok

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok i got the Sthil and used it for felling with no problems at all until it started losing power at full load. I took it back as it came with a 3 month warranty. I had a message while I was at work telling me the saw has a scored bore and wasn't worth repairing, the firm were very sorry and would refund me in full and if they had any saws I was interested in they would do a very favorable deal to compensate. All well and good but most their saws are new and I really got on well with the 038, just the right size to do everything!

I was thinking about asking for an almost complete refund in return for keeping the saw and trying to repair it. I'm no expert but it can't be harder to sort than a bmw m20 engine! Do these engine have a liner or barrel that the piston runs in? How easy is it to change this? Are new rings and liners/barrels available for an 038 farm boss?

most dealers will right a saw of that age off if it needs a new piston and cylinder, they arent super hard to change if you have a basic knowledge of engines,

see if they will do what you suggest and sell you the saw back very cheap and do the replacement yourself will PM you some info if you want to do the repair youself like suppliers of cheap genuine parts and IPLs etc