SRT anchoring pt 2

A follow up to my previous post. This one should boggle beginner and seasoned srt aficionado alike!

SRT???? ??????SRT Anchor Part 2

As an aside I think that the srt system has a long way to go before it can really compete with ddrt as a stand alone system. In my opinion it is not positive to negate development of the srt concept by saying 'keep it simple'. Simple input doesn't mean simple output.

I'm ready to discuss this if anybody is interested! :biggrin:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...As an aside I think that the srt system has a long way to go before it can really compete with ddrt as a stand alone system...

That is some good work in showing the new developments in SRT tree climbing. Even though I constantly and eagerly devour this type of information, I'm not sure that I would agree with above statement. I rarely use any of the many complex possibilities within SRT tree work and even in its simplest form it has completely replaced my DdRT working.

I look at new information on climbing system development and use in the same way I do advanced rigging solutions. I love learning them but it is rare that they are used in my daily climbs.

Looks like paralysis by analysis to me! I love new techniques and for me SRT doesnt just compete, it has become the only way to climb but how practical is it to set some of the stuff in that artical up? It looks massively over complicated to achieve the goal of working a tree safely and efectively. Great to see new ideas though.

That is some good work in showing the new developments in SRT tree climbing. Even though I constantly and eagerly devour this type of information, I'm not sure that I would agree with above statement. I rarely use any of the many complex possibilities within SRT tree work and even in its simplest form it has completely replaced my DdRT working.

I look at new information on climbing system development and use in the same way I do advanced rigging solutions. I love learning them but it is rare that they are used in my daily climbs.

Yes, for me too at first it replaced ddrt as a stand alone system, but back then I wasn't reflecting enough on the system as a whole. When I moved out to Japan and was suddenly faced with an entirely different scope of trees my technique had a sudden shock and I needed to find answers. With 99% rigged removal work here the trunk anchor stayed firmly in the access portion of the climb and I began to explore srt top anchors.

On another note the DSRT stuff left me cold when I first heard about it, it seemed that the guys were using it for pruning mainly and since I wasn't into that kind of work I left it be. The first time I tried though I just couldn't believe the scope for safe and easy movement. It redefines re-directs, returns to re-directs and the opposing anchor thing coupled with a traverse hook is just insanely useful...for removal work too.

Looks like paralysis by analysis to me! I love new techniques and for me SRT doesnt just compete, it has become the only way to climb but how practical is it to set some of the stuff in that artical up? It looks massively over complicated to achieve the goal of working a tree safely and efectively. Great to see new ideas though.

What do you mean by tree? We are talking shape and scope of work, which is different all the time.

Apart from the last (trt and srt), it really isn't too much to grapple with. I mean, you are climbing off an English Reeve system in your avatar! Surely you can set 2 srt ropes through a top anchor!?

Dsrt, correct me if I'm wrong is using two srt devices, two roperunner a or wrenches etc etc, for me I can't see me using it a lot, I really don't have time to mess around with it all, I can see how it will be a lot safer a lot more comfortable, but being a contract climber on other peoples work I just don't get the time, even of it is harder with one srt line, in my head it's still quicker. Speed over safety haha

What do you mean by tree? We are talking shape and scope of work, which is different all the time.

Apart from the last (trt and srt), it really isn't too much to grapple with. I mean, you are climbing off an English Reeve system in your avatar! Surely you can set 2 srt ropes through a top anchor!?

'Tyrolean traverse' ive always called it? That was for a big stone dead oak that was unstable. Never heard it called an English Reeve system. Anyway yes it is very simple to do that. Much more simple than is detailed in the article I reckon.