Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'mushroom'.
Found 2 results
First use of a the 56" mill today on some windblown Ash. Two lumps, one we got 5 x 3" boards off, the other is still a work in progress as the light went. Not a bad afternoon and I must say it's handy being a farmer. Ed has a wee Deutz Fahr and loader that did a fast job of moving this timber into place! Anyway, here are some pics...the upright boards are from the 1st butt. Unfortunately, the 2nd butt was a double edged sword. See the end? I crosscut it to give a fresh end as these logs have been down for around 18 months - the whole of the heartwood was pulpy and fibrous and extends about a foot wide up 3/4 of the length and through at least 14" of the 34" depth (that's as far as we got today). It's a learning curve. We've given up the 1 1/4" slabs we were making because of the beautiful fungus lesions. No idea how they're gonna turn out when dry but there's a square foot of really nice looking timber there - we're gonna ask the "inventive carpenter" who has a unit on the farm. Will probably shorten the butt or quarter it to find the extent of this pulpy crap. That's about it - a few bloopers as this is the first time I've had my large mill out: Upright the wrong way round at the nose of the bar, causing a taper that we only noticed very late on - 1cm over the 30" width or so. Not ideal, but it depends on the end use. A sloping outdoor bench seat, for example... Turning your saw upside down to sharpen the other side of the bar, mill attached, is BRILLIANT but the saw doesn't seem that keen on starting after. A little throttle blipping later.... More ash to mill soon, this stuff green. A nice crotched piece, again about 32" at the base. Lovin' it! Beats 12 year on the ground Oak hands down.