Arbofix????????????

welwell

Evenin' all

Got a rather large tree to plant soon and I was going to use the "Platipus" system, but I also been tempted by the simplicity of the "Arbofix" system. I've never used either. What sort of results have any of you had with the diferrent systems. Particullarly the "Arbofix" one.???

I know that the guys i've been working with have been known to knock 4 stakes in around the root ball, this helps to stabalise the tree, then just buy cheap ratchett straps and ratchett the stakes together to hold even more firmly the tree in place and bury them so there hidden.

Its a cheaper alternative and works, we plant many hundreds of semi mature trees a year and use this method often.

Not used the Arbofix system but have planted hundreds with the Platipus gear. Bear in mind you'll need to buy the drive rod to drive the anchors into the ground (get the one which attaches to the 19mm hex breaker rather than the one you whack with a sledgehammer covered in mud). I've always found the Platipus gear very reliable as long as you've got adequate depth of soil and the soil you're fixing into isn't made-up ground as on a development site). You can backfill made-up soil, but you'll need to compact the subsoil in courses with a whacker plate.

What girth is the tree you're hoping to plant? Is a below-ground system required in this instance?

So that would be a stake in each "corner" of the rootball and then a ratchet strap all around all four stakes?? Pulling them in together?

I'll have to double check with the tree planting team, i'm not 100% sure how they do it.