ganoderma rescinaseum on oak tree

SyB

Hey

Lets not write the tree of yet!

If it is TPO tree then the LPA should demand a consultants report giving the SULE (that is of course if they have any idea about trees!!) before they allow it to be felled. What is the replaement going to be if it is DDD exemption?

Any A.A registered consultant will be able to provide the info the tree owner needs...

Provide the client with the information... As a professional Arborist, you should not just walk away!

Hey

Lets not write the tree of yet!

If it is TPO tree then the LPA should demand a consultants report giving the SULE (that is of course if they have any idea about trees!!) before they allow it to be felled. What is the replaement going to be if it is DDD exemption?

Any A.A registered consultant will be able to provide the info the tree owner needs...

Provide the client with the information... As a professional Arborist, you should not just walk away!

I hope the tree doesn't get written off and I have no intension of just waking away:001_rolleyes: My reason for joining this forum was to seek advice from those more experienced than myself. I've never come across this in the last five years and whilst I understand the potential damage this can create I don't feel that I'm experienced enough to assess the current damage to the tree. My first thought was to call the Tree Officer at the Local Authority because of the TPO - he just advised me to get the Research Centre to do an assessment on it. However this service isn't free and one would expect that this would have to be done by the client. All I really wanted was clear cut information on exactly what action to take. I don't want to fell the tree but I also don't want the tree to fall on their house. I was hoping for a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question - I will of course provide as much information to the client as I can:confused:

I should be asleep, so excuse me if I ramble...

I would advise the client in writing that:

The tree appears to be host to a Gandoerma species, believed to be G resinaceum.

Ganoderma won't necessarily kill a tree, but it can decay the stem to the point that the tree falls over. G. resinaceum is said to be one of the more 'aggressive' Ganodermas, but oak can host Ganoderma for many years without failing.

Advise the client you can not assess the extent of the decay because it is internal and therefore you recommend they engage a suitably experienced arboriculturist, equipped with appropriate investigative equipment to assess the extent of the decay - or more importantly whether the remaining functional / healthy wood is sufficient to support the tree for a reasonable period. Assuming the tree is suitable for retention, the Arboriculturist should also advise when the tree should be reinspected.

The Arboricultrist does not need to be Arb Association registered, but they do need to be suitably experienced / qualified.

If you're feeling really helpful, you can advise the client that most local authority tree officers would have recieved reports carried out by such people and they should be able, with a little encouragement to mention companies who are suitably equipped / experienced. TO's don't normally openly recommend companies because they're not supposed to, they should be able to mention a local company that has suitable decay detection equipment and know's how to use it.

If that dosen't work, try the neigbouring Local Authorities and if you get really desperate google the words 'Arboricultural consultant' plus the name of your county or nearest town.

There's a good reason for the above sounding like an answer in examination...

I should be asleep, so excuse me if I ramble...

I would advise the client in writing that:

The tree appears to be host to a Gandoerma species, believed to be G resinaceum.

Ganoderma won't necessarily kill a tree, but it can decay the stem to the point that the tree falls over. G. resinaceum is said to be one of the more 'aggressive' Ganodermas, but oak can host Ganoderma for many years without failing.

Advise the client you can not assess the extent of the decay because it is internal and therefore you recommend they engage a suitably experienced arboriculturist, equipped with appropriate investigative equipment to assess the extent of the decay - or more importantly whether the remaining functional / healthy wood is sufficient to support the tree for a reasonable period. Assuming the tree is suitable for retention, the Arboriculturist should also advise when the tree should be reinspected.

The Arboricultrist does not need to be Arb Association registered, but they do need to be suitably experienced / qualified.

If you're feeling really helpful, you can advise the client that most local authority tree officers would have recieved reports carried out by such people and they should be able, with a little encouragement to mention companies who are suitably equipped / experienced. TO's don't normally openly recommend companies because they're not supposed to, they should be able to mention a local company that has suitable decay detection equipment and know's how to use it.

If that dosen't work, try the neigbouring Local Authorities and if you get really desperate google the words 'Arboricultural consultant' plus the name of your county or nearest town.

There's a good reason for the above sounding like an answer in examination...

:thumbup: Exactly what I was looking for - thanks for taking the time out to do this - hopefully you're asleep now:sleep1: I'm new to the forum so I expect it will take a bit of time to get used to things. Must admit I was beginning to think i was being told off:scared1::lol:

You're welcome, I had a similar experience with G. resinaceum on an old lapsed pollard oak in a conservation area - it too was leaning toward a house.

I went through the above process and the consultant inspected the base of the tree with a Picus tomograph. From the evidence, there dosen't seem to be adequate functional wood and the tree unfortunately is likely to be removed. I'll try to get the trunk retained as a monolith, but that's likely to depend on whether the client is prepared to manage the regrowth.

Hi SyB

Reading my post back it did sound a little judgemental!!! Sorry for that.

No offence ment mate and I totally repect you as a fellow professional.

Cheers dude!

That's ok - none taken:biggrin: It's good to know you're all out there willing to give the benefit of your experience to others. I've been doing land management and tree surgery for 5 to 6 years but learn something new every day.

Many thanks from one dude to another:cool1: