Went out to spot fungi today...

Kveldssanger

A while ago I had a Prunus avium felled that was host to Ganoderma applanatum. Am trawling through all my photos of fungi and came across a folder that showed an internal cross-section from the butt area, level with where the fruiting body had appeared (one bracket on one side and one directly opposite on the other side).

Part I:

Part II:

Part III:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meripilus giganteus (I do believe) on stump 'shadows' of (most probably) Fagus sylvatica (it's either that or Platanus x hispanica as both species line this particular street, and I have never heard of this fungus using plane as a host):

Not uncommon on plane Chris.

Meripilus has a fairly wide host range, like these from an older thread.

Have seen it on horse chestnut, ash, oak and London plane this week.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/49997-meripilus-giganteus-giant-polypore-its-host-range.html

Morning walk with the dogs and spotted some crackers.

General pictures that I thought were rather grand (a collection of once hedgerow oaks scatter the near horizon):

I. hispidus at the principal branch union of a very mature hedgerow F. excelsior:

D. concentrica on a fallen log of F. excelsior:

G. applanatum on a massive F. excelsior stump:

And hopefully one some of you will appreciate - some cross-section photos of a G. applanatum bracket taken from the F. excelsior stump (seeing as there were plenty):

Part 1:

Part 2:

Is this the beginnings of honey fungus on oak?

And what's this on willow?

Brain not working today...

I would say the first ones are certainly Armillaria but without seeing the gills or stem it would be difficult to pin point which species.

Worth considering A. tabescens (the ringless honey fungus) as that one is wholly saprophytic, and yours appear to be fruiting from dysfunctional volumes.

Have a look at that one in the Fungi directory above.

Try getting into the habit of turning one upside down when documenting them. Your shots are great but the devil is in the detail :001_smile:

The second ones are from the Coprinus group, perhaps C. truncorum.

It's very similar to C. micaceus and can only really be differentiated by looking at the spore, but your images seem to not show the mica (white powdery granules) on the cap surface that are the usual visual difference associated with the latter.

Also spotted these growing just by some heavily-decayed B. pendula logs. I'm opting for Lactarius sp. or Russala sp., though cannot say more than that. Perhaps L. trivialis or L. tabidus, though colouration and margins are maybe not that similar.

I would lean toward Megacollybia (Tricholomopsis) platyphylla

Definately not Russula, and I think you would see the tell tale bleeding from the damaged gills if they were any of the Lactarius species.

Thanks, David.

I shall look to upturn some of the caps, in future. With the Coprinus ones on the willow, they were so small that I was hoping to let them grow a little first. Will check back on Tuesday.

Here's a load more from the last few days. Been rather busy, so this is the first time I have had a chance to upload them.

D. quercina on a Q. robur log:

G. applanatum on an A. campestre stump:

G. applanatum on a (what I suspect is) very old Q. robur stump:

Ganoderma sp. (I suspect G. australe on this one as the bracket form is different from what I would expect G. applanatum to look like, though some P. igniarius may also be present in desiccated form - it may even be G. applanatum!) on a line of S. alba, slowly picking them off one-by-one (first two are already dead):

Desiccated (and since crumbled) L. sulphureus on Q. robur:

L. sulphureus in the crown of a Q. robur, within a wound where a branch snapped-out many moons ago:

L. sulphureus on a Q. robur log:

P. pomaceus on P. spinosa:

What I suspect is an old P. dryadeus bracket on Q. robur:

Do correct me on any I may be wrong about!