SRT anchoring pt 2

The first section of the article im coming round to....is this what is known as a 'triple threat' system? I can see some possibilities and fairly swift set up of this. I have a spare anchor ring and could see the benefits of setting something like this up with rope runner and hitch hiker in a larger spready tree. All good stuff and interesting and didnt mean to sound dismissive. Just aware of practicalities on site and the benefits of shedding equipment (not increasing it!) in SRT.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elegant solutions being played with there sir! Im too lazy dsrt... I base anchor one and top tie the other with the retrieval leg anchored into the base anchor side of the other system ;)

Dsrt, correct me if I'm wrong is using two srt devices, two roperunner a or wrenches etc etc, for me I can't see me using it a lot, I really don't have time to mess around with it all, I can see how it will be a lot safer a lot more comfortable, but being a contract climber on other peoples work I just don't get the time, even of it is harder with one srt line, in my head it's still quicker. Speed over safety haha

Oy vey !

Well ... whatever James, your prerogative is your own after all.

The first section of the article im coming round to....is this what is known as a 'triple threat' system? I can see some possibilities and fairly swift set up of this. I have a spare anchor ring and could see the benefits of setting something like this up with rope runner and hitch hiker in a larger spready tree. All good stuff and interesting and didnt mean to sound dismissive. Just aware of practicalities on site and the benefits of shedding equipment (not increasing it!) in SRT.

I'm coming from a place where 25M-35M trees are being removed, usually in a line, next to electrical and railway lines. My ideas are relevant to me and my job. I certainly don't go in and faff around and whatever redundancy is there is for safety. I have to trek in up to 2km and work on 70 degree slopes. Light weight is very important. If it's not working then it stays at home.

I guess I see where you and James are coming from. As a subby climber you are supposed to go in a perform professionally, efficiently, productively and safely. As a company hiring in a subby they are expecting someone who can deal with any and all situations. So I ask you, how can you do this if you don't expand your technical vocabulary?

Elegant solutions being played with there sir! Im too lazy dsrt... I base anchor one and top tie the other with the retrieval leg anchored into the base anchor side of the other system ;)

Thanks Ben, bottom and top tying sounds cool, I'm gonna try it. I guess you could add in redundancy in the case of anchor leg cutting too?

I'm coming from a place where 25M-35M trees are being removed, usually in a line, next to electrical and railway lines. My ideas are relevant to me and my job. I certainly don't go in and faff around and whatever redundancy is there is for safety. I have to trek in up to 2km and work on 70 degree slopes. Light weight is very important. If it's not working then it stays at home.

I guess I see where you and James are coming from. As a subby climber you are supposed to go in a perform professionally, efficiently, productively and safely. As a company hiring in a subby they are expecting someone who can deal with any and all situations. So I ask you, how can you do this if you don't expand your technical vocabulary?

wow. sounds amazing. I suppose im just used to dealing with any and all situations using SRT and the other end of my rope /long lanyard as a secondary anchor. The tyrolean traverse for instance was for a one off job where the tree could potentially fail/collapse. I dont tend to use basal tie offs unless im going up to carry out minor work but the 'triple Threat' anhor has potential.....may have to splice one up or order from Treestuff. I think expanding technical vocabulary is very important and I make an effort to but you are right about the time constraints of a commercial/sub contract climber here. All great stuff though if you have time and happy to carry the gear.

its great to see someone finding the time to share all they've been experimenting with to try and progress our working practices and for FREE!! i experiment with all sorts of things and carry out lots of little research projects but finding the time to share these bits letting alone having the inclination to do so for free in most cases is quite a struggle.

paralysis by analysis? i'm not so sure, if anything we tend to lack analysis when it comes to innovating systems in arb to be honest, looking closely at your avatar your traverse set-up is not in fact an English reeve but comprises of two traverse lines, 2 controls and the package is attached via a double rope system (Ddrt), why was it you choose to rig 2 traverse lines? what effect does that have on your anchors? increase or decrease? it was simple to set up, it is simple to understand but only if you choose to understand it.

I think that what's covered in the article has some great applications not only to improve safety but, more importantly for me, productivity! even if i have to spend hours or days learning something if that something improves productivity its likely that it'll pay dividends. Sometimes a little extra set up time is way outweighed by the what it saves me in climbing time, I don't think Paul is suggesting we spend ages setting things up just for the crack but on those jobs that warrant it having the tools in the tool bag and more importantly the tools in the old noggin is where it's at for me, a practice one day for the crack is defiantly advisable if only to ensure its quick and safe to utilise when called upon.

I know that there's a great deal more that paul experiments with that he's decided wasn't worth sharing as it had limited application or that there's defiantly better/ less gear intensive ways of achieving the same outcome, furthermore i know that Paul goes to the lengths to understand the forces at work in these systems, something we should all do when innovating.

Thanks for sharing a clear, concise, and easy to digest article Paul San, id like to think a write up on the forces would get a warm response but, then again........

I wasn't arguing or saying dsrt isn't good, I have used it in the past when I needed too, big spread out trees and so on, I also still use my spiderjack when I feel it is quicker. The beauty of our job is that every tree is different so it's important to have arsenal of kit. But I would not use dsrt on every climb for the sake of it. Whatever is the fasted, safest way to get you home

its great to see someone finding the time to share all they've been experimenting with to try and progress our working practices and for FREE!! i experiment with all sorts of things and carry out lots of little research projects but finding the time to share these bits letting alone having the inclination to do so for free in most cases is quite a struggle.

paralysis by analysis? i'm not so sure, if anything we tend to lack analysis when it comes to innovating systems in arb to be honest, looking closely at your avatar your traverse set-up is not in fact an English reeve but comprises of two traverse lines, 2 controls and the package is attached via a double rope system (Ddrt), why was it you choose to rig 2 traverse lines? what effect does that have on your anchors? increase or decrease? it was simple to set up, it is simple to understand but only if you choose to understand it.

I think that what's covered in the article has some great applications not only to improve safety but, more importantly for me, productivity! even if i have to spend hours or days learning something if that something improves productivity its likely that it'll pay dividends. Sometimes a little extra set up time is way outweighed by the what it saves me in climbing time, I don't think Paul is suggesting we spend ages setting things up just for the crack but on those jobs that warrant it having the tools in the tool bag and more importantly the tools in the old noggin is where it's at for me, a practice one day for the crack is defiantly advisable if only to ensure its quick and safe to utilise when called upon.

I know that there's a great deal more that paul experiments with that he's decided wasn't worth sharing as it had limited application or that there's defiantly better/ less gear intensive ways of achieving the same outcome, furthermore i know that Paul goes to the lengths to understand the forces at work in these systems, something we should all do when innovating.

Thanks for sharing a clear, concise, and easy to digest article Paul San, id like to think a write up on the forces would get a warm response but, then again........

Many thanks loler uk for explaining my traverse and 'not English Reeve system' to me that I already know ( and didnt call it in the first place!)...not that this thread is about my traverse exploits but I was specifically asked to install a back up traverse and also a seperate double line traverse for this job. I am aware that it was completely over the top but the company i was working for (for many years) required it for insurance on this particular job....

Anyhow apologies for the 'paralysis by analysis' quip wooden hand, didnt mean to offend, only to discuss etc...it is clear that you have designs to innovate and the knowledge to do so.

Also got me really thinking about the 'triple threat' again and its possibilities if basal tied. I will be placing an order on the strength of your article.