Laser surveying to determine root spread/depth

ChrisG

We have had a few ground penetrating radar inspections carried out. There are at least two companies near to London which do this. I would suggest that anyone considering going down this route have a chat with both.

There are differences between each company because the inspection is dependent on the kit, the operative, the interpretation of results etc. The inspection should be able to identify root diameter and depth as well as map them onto a plan. Problem is that two smaller roots growing adjacent to each other can be identified as one larger root which would obviously affect the final outcome. Again, speak to the company to determine what you require from the survey and level of accuracy.

I would also suggest that you do not wholly rely on the results in the supplied report. You will also need to understand how the survey works in order to correctly interpret the report and be able to use the results in their intended way as well as being able to explain to a Client what is what.

The survey is not cheap and not always suitable but we have used it for basement work within gardens and where buildings are proposed within the RPA of protected trees.

I remember seeing the demo of one of the kits when I was in London. It looked a bit fragile and I remember them trying to push it over some slightly uneven grass area. They eventually said that it couldn't pick anything up due to the ground changes.

The second time I saw one, was also in London on a development site. They were using it to prove tree roots were running along the pavement and not into the development site. I think it took several months for them to submit the data, and due to the made up ground and previous development works the results were inconclusive. They ended up submitting an air spade report to show that roots were within the development site.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there have been changes over the years, and you see them being used by other street works to detect pipes etc, I'm just not sold on the idea that it will pick up all the roots and the location of them.