Good book scores?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd gotten confused on the dates of the books, I've got the later print. I think the book I was thinking of was Forest Pathology by John Shaw Boyce - 1938

An earlier book still is Hartigs' Diseases of Trees, translated by William Somerville, which I think is 1890 something. It makes me wonder how far we have actually progressed in our knowledge of trees over the last hundred odd years. I also find it it bit sad how undervalued these books appear to be, assuming that their prices indicate their demand.

Saying that, if you searched hard enough they're probably available to download as a PDF somewhere.

Interesting. Have ordered the reprint from 2012. Will be good to compare.

The Decay of timber and its prevention is, I think, one of the 'benchmark' research books. It seems a lot of current information simply draws, near verbatim, from that book.

The Decay of timber and its prevention is, I think, one of the 'benchmark' research books. It seems a lot of current information simply draws, near verbatim, from that book.

Just got a copy on eBay for £3.90, yeehah! Just going back online to look for a cheap copy of 'Book shelves and their reinforcement'...

• 2 weeks later...
You'll like it. Good book!

Book has arrived, and it is indeed fabulous. Apart from the scientific names being out of date, it is really easy to follow. It is rare to get a book set out in this clarity and structure. Must be a dying art.

There's also a nice clear method for making thin sections of wood (for microscope) that will show up the cell walls red and the fungal hyphae blue. Just need to find out where to get some aqueous picric acid!?

Thanks for the tip, I would never have thoght to buy this book based on its title alone.

Good to hear. Indeed it is rare to see such a good book - it shows how much had been established with regards to fungal decayers back then. It seems most knowledge is simply lifted from such texts, with little development since.

Go down to a chemistry lab at a school. Say you're doing a research project. :D

The crown jewel of my book shelf....

"Legal and Equitable Rights and Liabilities as to Trees and Woods".

Or in other words, the 1800's version of Mynors.

Rediculously outdated, but an absolutely fascinating read simply for the use of olde English.

Free! :)

1433498275353.jpg.8cbab27c639fb9e5b30803ac53ecb255.jpg