Inonotus dryadeus

Hannah

Hi All,

On the I. dryadeus thread, one of Monkey-Ds photos show a definite stalk and I,ve always understood there is a sessile attachment, also some mention of dryadeus at height, could this be I. dryophilus? But all this is probably due to the infinite fungal variations and my lack of knowledge,

Cheers.

a fine call my good man:001_cool:

• 2 years later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the Oak?

Live or laurel perhaps?

Shame about the big girdler

Looks a bit beyond removing, ya think?

O sorry--leaves like willow, Q phellos, way overplanted here. The girdler's just an aggravating factor at this point; the other Inonotus conk is opposite the girdler so infection likely throughout.

Look at the right side of the girdler--wounded and weak. If dirt was removed we would see possible pruning locations. Q phellos thick bark, seldom grafts.

Last pic shows central decline. Prognosis seems to be an ongoing pruning and risk assessment chore until it's judged irremediable. Tomorrow i get the client goals from the campus arborist, but it feels like felling might be up on the list of options. not from present risk, but declining future value.

O sorry--leaves like willow, Q phellos, way overplanted here. The girdler's just an aggravating factor at this point; the other Inonotus conk is opposite the girdler so infection likely throughout.

Look at the right side of the girdler--wounded and weak. If dirt was removed we would see possible pruning locations. Q phellos thick bark, seldom grafts.

Last pic shows central decline. Prognosis seems to be an ongoing pruning and risk assessment chore until it's judged irremediable. Tomorrow i get the client goals from the campus arborist, but it feels like felling might be up on the list of options. not from present risk, but declining future value.

Rethinking future value, and specifying retrenchment as an option. As with this other tree; the base of the one on the left is half-circled I.d. conks.

5976666fa8c10_Dukeoaksattrafficstoppaint.jpg.6ae45c71538b3a72cbc7eafb5174b5ee.jpg

Guy, is the layout above what you generally use with the majority of your clients?

Do you ever get feed back or are you here :001_rolleyes: after years of different approaches?

Not criticism, just curious in looking at different report/client interactions.

Like the spec on the left hand oak particularly.

No bull & clear concise info :thumbup1:

"Inoculation"........que ?

Do you ever get feed back or are you here :001_rolleyes: after years of different approaches?.

? I've fumbled with other approaches over the years and tend to think this one works. Not always so concise; sometimes do 10-20 pages, depending...But nutshelling it like this gives the user an executive summary they can wrap their heads around with little effort.

Do I ever get feedback? Not enough obviously; maybe that's why I'm talking to you now!

I'm taking an Environmental Law course at present; the instructor offers a "One-Minute Lawyer" synopsis video for those students too lazy to read. https://class.coursera.org/environlaw-001/wiki/view?page=oneminlawyer Welcome to higher ed, and life in general, in 2013.:001_rolleyes:

I'm playing with "One-Minute Arborist" vids, liking the challenge of synopsisation that way. No bull, no fluff, no gas passed, just the facts, is the goal. So many reports (too many of mine as I read them) smell of self-gratification, showing off one's knowledge instead of doing the job and getting on with managing the tree instead of the client, and the arborist's ego.

Well that may be harsh...but painstakingly cataloguing extraneous information is just not all that productive.

Inoculation = introducing microorganisms into the soil to compete with and potentially antagonize wood decay fungi.

btw "Retrenchment" may be making its way into the US pruning standard. Ted's work and yours reverberates in the new world. Thank You Sir! :thumbup1: Progress is painful but it's gotta happen.