Small Woodland Management - Help And Guidance Appreciated

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bombus,

I found it really hard to find this sort of info when planting my wood. Books are very vague and don’t really tell you about soil type, moisture levels and shade tolerance. I’ll annotate each on your list from my experience and extensive attempts to find out through internet/reading. You haven’t said what soil type you have and how moist it is. Its pretty hard to open up a one tree size gap and plant something. Only hornbeam will grow in that situation. i’d suggest opening up cleared areas and planting shade tolerant stuff around the edges and light demanding species in the middle. I tend to plant long term trees about 4 metres apart with the gaps between with coppice trees eg hazel at 2m spacings.

Prunus avium - likes moisture, fairly shade tolerant grows fast

Sorbus aucuparia will grow on sand, very shade tolerant, versatile and fast growing but short lived

Prunus padus shrubby tree

Betula pendula Short lived, open sky to grow. drier areas including sand

Acer campestre versatile small tree, good wildlife and ok light shade

Malus sylvestris open areas, small tree

Alnus glutinosa prefers damp but will grow anywhere not dry. fast grower, can be coppiced, needs good light

Quercus robur Needs good light, slow growing, likes tree shelters, wet or dry soil

Tilia cordata slow to establish, shade tolerant, wide range of soils

Castanea sativa will grow on drier soils including sand. shade tolerant, coppices well.

Viburnum lantana small tree, prefers alkaline soils

Sorbus aria like rowan, is supposed to like alkaline soils but grows fine on my acid sand.

Carpinus betulus slow growing, likes damp soil, will grow in shade

Rhamnus frangula shrubby tree

Taxus baccata very slow to get started, will grow in deep shade and dry soils

Juglans regia likes damp soil, good light, will stop other trees growing near it

Juglans nigra as above.

Photo's aren't great, but all I've got to hand.

Where am I going to put the trees? Good question! :lol: I'll squeeze them in somewhere. Hopefully. :blushing:

I'm thinking I'll do a bit of scrub clearance and coppicing and stick them in the gaps in the cant, then maybe sacrifice some of the existing stools later.

Not having too many standards currently gives me a bit of room and light to play with potentially.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

Edited by Bombus

Photo's aren't great, but all I've got to hand.

Where am I going to put the trees? Good question! :lol: I'll squeeze them in somewhere. Hopefully. :blushing:

I'm thinking I'll do a bit of shrub clearance and coppicing and stick them in the gaps, then maybe sacrifice some of the existing stools later.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

Thanks for the pics, interesting to see

Looks like the coppice has been coppiced not so long ago?

Bombus,

I found it really hard to find this sort of info when planting my wood. Books are very vague and don’t really tell you about soil type, moisture levels and shade tolerance. I’ll annotate each on your list from my experience and extensive attempts to find out through internet/reading. You haven’t said what soil type you have and how moist it is. Its pretty hard to open up a one tree size gap and plant something. Only hornbeam will grow in that situation. i’d suggest opening up cleared areas and planting shade tolerant stuff around the edges and light demanding species in the middle. I tend to plant long term trees about 4 metres apart with the gaps between with coppice trees eg hazel at 2m spacings.

Prunus avium - likes moisture, fairly shade tolerant grows fast

Sorbus aucuparia will grow on sand, very shade tolerant, versatile and fast growing but short lived

Prunus padus shrubby tree

Betula pendula Short lived, open sky to grow. drier areas including sand

Acer campestre versatile small tree, good wildlife and ok light shade

Malus sylvestris open areas, small tree

Alnus glutinosa prefers damp but will grow anywhere not dry. fast grower, can be coppiced, needs good light

Quercus robur Needs good light, slow growing, likes tree shelters, wet or dry soil

Tilia cordata slow to establish, shade tolerant, wide range of soils

Castanea sativa will grow on drier soils including sand. shade tolerant, coppices well.

Viburnum lantana small tree, prefers alkaline soils

Sorbus aria like rowan, is supposed to like alkaline soils but grows fine on my acid sand.

Carpinus betulus slow growing, likes damp soil, will grow in shade

Rhamnus frangula shrubby tree

Taxus baccata very slow to get started, will grow in deep shade and dry soils

Juglans regia likes damp soil, good light, will stop other trees growing near it

Juglans nigra as above.

Thanks a lot. Very useful.

The soil is clay, not sure about PH, but assume it's probably neutral to alkaline and overall it's fairly moist, but not boggy.

I was aware the walnuts chemically inhibit other plant growth, but hadn't really considered the impact too much. Might be useful for a camping/picnic and parking area.

Yeah, don't know when exactly, but seems to have been done fairly recently.

Its all the same is it rather than a rotation system? If so not much point in coppicing again?

Some winter pics would be really good to see - could get more of an idea of the structure of the woodland them. Sorry I'm not being much help here, My knowledge is very limited but I'm just interestd as I'm in a similar position :biggrin:

Its all the same is it rather than a rotation system? If so not much point in coppicing again?

Some winter pics would be really good to see - could get more of an idea of the structure of the woodland them. Sorry I'm not being much help here, My knowledge is very limited but I'm just interestd as I'm in a similar position :biggrin:

I'm not actually sure, since I haven't been able to get into most of it yet. Some of the ash is a reasonable size for burning. I did coppice a few just to get some light into a struggling bluebell patch. I'll see if I can find a bit of it and count the rings.

I need to make some room anyway and get my rotation going, so will clear and cut an area and go from there.

The Hazel will be getting too big for anything useful, so will need cutting anyway if I am going to keep it in rotation.

I'll be spending a few days down there this week hopefully, so will get some new pics.

I know the pictures aren't great, but anybody else got any general thoughts on it? Am I mad taking it on?

I know it's going to need a lot of work initially at least, but 5 acres isn't very big and I'm hoping it'll be a fun project and turn into somewhere nice and peaceful for relaxing and enjoying with the family.