Prusik help for Rope Access technician

Bjørgvin

Bjørgvin, If it's a shallow roof i'd be tempted to drop two lines down and run with an ASAP on one line and a Shunt on a cowstail / Grillion on the other. You can push the shunt up to use it as an ascender.

If the roof was steeper i'd want to use a Rig over an ID. much better, more fluid without that annoying anti panic feature.

Jamie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The button works ok when decending without much weight on the rope. Its tending slack when moving around thats bothers me. The ropes gets real dirty and becomes a bit stiffer.

Jamie. That shunt idea could be worth a try. Have both shunts and grillions lying around.

I like to try and use the easiest, least gear intensive set up I can. Keeping it simple.

I personally haven't used ID's much, the company I worked with for 4 years used Rigs but phased them out due to the rope wearing out the braking section of the faceplate prematurely. The company i'm now working for uses ID's and I can't stand them.

• 5 weeks later...

Little update:

Just a friction hitch on a single line was ok as long as the roof is not steep. But not sold on it as steep roofs is part of the job aswell.

I then rigged a rads type 3:1 system without a rig/grigri/id as they produce alot of friction. Used a twin pulley connected to a grillon lanyard on my harness, and then put the friction hitch on the third leg of rope. As a result the hitch only holds a third of my weight and worked perfect!

As the grillon is adsjustable I can move the system away from me when ascending, getting a good pull on the third leg. Almost a frictionless 3:1.

When decending I leave my hand ascender on the roof ridge.

This system has to be rigged when I have reached the roof ridge, because you can not move the hand ascender up when the hitch is holding my weight on the third leg. But thats ok. Takes 3 minutes to gain 7 hours of more effective work. Really impressive how easy you can lift you body 3:1 without friction.

I will try to switch the twin pulley with a Petzl pro traxion. This has a cam on the pulley that you can lock off. Meaning that it ascends like a croll with a pulley. Capturing your progress. This allows me to ascend with the system as rads. When I am at the ridge i connect my hitch on the third leg and flip open the cam on the traction, and it works as a normal pulley. But then there is tending the hitch.. Will play around with that.