What firewood processor best to suit me?

steve@crown

Hi Guys,

Looking to purchase a firewood processor, and wondered if anyone could help with advise/machines to consider.

We have already out-grown our yard space with the volume of wood this year, and struggling to process it quick enough...don't laugh...but chainsaw and axe!!!!

To explain....we have had a grounds maintenance business for 7 years, with tree surgery for the past 5. We have now set up a dedicated tree surgery business....so now all hell has gone mad with the amount of wood!

I predict to create within one year 120-180 tonnes of wood a year quite easily at the rate we are going....

I've been considering the Farmi Forest Mastersplit WP36 from Orangeplant. I like the idea of sawing, splitting and moving on the wood from one stand. We don't have a tractor for PTO...so again this with the Honda engine looks a good idea.

Any comments/thoughts greatly appreciated and output rates to sensibly expect 1-2 man crew?

Thanks,

Steve

What sort of budget do you have. Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy a PTO machine and a cheap old tractor that will just run the PTO if nothing else than to restrict your search to self powered machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

When ever I read posts like this I think of a web site I saw where they claimed they could process 15 cubic metres per hour - 105 cubic metres in a 7 hour day. If they are that good, why bother spending thousands on a machine - just hire them in for a few days!! They would certainly get my stock done for the year in a few days!!

Don't be encouraged by people saying you can pick up a cheap tractor to run it either. After much searching and looking at restoration jobs for £1500 plus just to get them running I eventually found a rough but running International for £1350. There are not as many about as people think, or if there are they are at the other end of the country!

I have a Palax KS35 Ergo and on the whole have been happy with it although not as quick as they are made out to be. A few people I spoke to were claiming production figures way over what I was achieving but when queried they revealed they had removed most of the safety guards and sensors!!! Not recommended.

If you get a lot of sub 14 inch diameter timber straight as a die a processor would be of benefit. If mainly bigger stuff, might be better off with chainsaw and a substantial log splitter.

For your budget I would say you are looking at second hand equipment in which case I would be tempted to buy from a dealer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.