Willans Harness silly question.

chrisj

I've got a Willans harness at the moment with the 2 triangle attachment points connected together with a triangle maillon. I really fancy a bridge harness rather than the fixed attachment point that I have, but my harness is still in great condition and not too old so I can't currently justify a couple of hundred quid or more on a new harness for the amount of climbing that I do. I have seen that they do a version with a kind of metal bridge, but clearly I can't retro fit that. So do you think it would be feasable and ok to fit a rope bridge to the harness that I have? In thoery I could tie it on with a fishermans to the triangle attachment points or use short maillons to connect it. Can anyone think of any safety issues with it given that several bridge harnesses use rope bridges?

I've got a Willans harness at the moment with the 2 triangle attachment points connected together with a triangle maillon. I really fancy a bridge harness rather than the fixed attachment point that I have, but my harness is still in great condition and not too old so I can't currently justify a couple of hundred quid or more on a new harness for the amount of climbing that I do. I have seen that they do a version with a kind of metal bridge, but clearly I can't retro fit that. So do you think it would be feasable and ok to fit a rope bridge to the harness that I have? In thoery I could tie it on with a fishermans to the triangle attachment points or use short maillons to connect it. Can anyone think of any safety issues with it given that several bridge harnesses use rope bridges?

A friend of mine has done this and he made the bridge out of 13mm XTC . Not a problem in my eyes . Although you would probably have to revert back to the maillons for a kit inspection .

That's just what I was thinking of doing Essex Arborist.

Good point DanClimbsTrees. My slight concern was whether the diameter of the triangles was to small to ties straight to but it's no smaller than a maillon that I would have happily connected to and the fact that others have done it further puts my mind at rest.

My other thought was that the version with the metal bridge may have had the triangles further apart and so this wouldn't work with my harness. But again the fact that others have tried it gives me confidence to think that it's worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....I tried it, and WOW! Love it. Not only does it work to give me better movement, but it's made the harness more comfy too. It doesn't seem to pinch the hips so much. It'll definitely make the harness better to use until I can justify an upgrade.