254xp problem

THE88MAN

I have a 254xp that has a very good spark but will not fire up.I've tried another carb off a good runner and still nothing.piston and pot look in very good order,fuel line is clear etc,bit stumped now,any ideas? thanks guys :001_smile:

The usual thing to look for is spark, compression and fuel.

You have a spark, is the plug getting wet after pulling the saw over with the choke on? Is the fast idle part of the carb working on cold start? Check the fuel lines, tank breather etc.

You may have flooded the engine - try taking the plug out, turn the igition off and pull it over fast with the saw upside down to get rid of puddled fuel.

Thanks chaps,will have a crack tomorrow.spud I've noticed the carb I removed has a screw that has torn the thread,one of the four on the top,guessing that's not good,is there a remedy for this being such a fine screw/thread or is it a bin job?

Have you ever had it running ? If it's sparking then that's good flooding may be an issue and them 254 are prone to it as it's easy to mis the engine fire on choke and keep pulling then they flood , do as spud says and make shore you keep the ignition switched off when pulling over for two reasons one is the fire risk and two is the cdi ignition on the 2 series huskies will blow if they are not earthed and pulled over. Also if you have not had it running and it is not flooded do try just a litle fuel mixed and not in the plug just pop the air filter off tip a drop in the inlet no choke then give her a pull just to see if it fires if still no joy you may have a sheared key on your flywheel it's a intergrated alloy one that is cast into the flywheel iv had this happen a few times on 254 and 262 saws especially if they have been played around with like sometimes happens ?

Thanks chaps,will have a crack tomorrow.spud I've noticed the carb I removed has a screw that has torn the thread,one of the four on the top,guessing that's not good,is there a remedy for this being such a fine screw/thread or is it a bin job?

Sometimes you can get by with just three screws and have no leakage. Sometimes you can find a slightly oversize screw and then use it to make a new thread in the soft alloy carb housing - done this before with some success!