zig zag versus lockjack??

carlos

yes i guess its down to preference. why would you not recommend the use of the lockjack / RW combo??

carl

Because the LJ is designed specifically for DdRT climbing. With a RW above it, when you sit in the harness the LJ grabs the rope and takes all your weight before the RW has become engaged. This twists the LJ and it is therefore cross loaded.

I've tried it and it really doesn't work.

If you want a device that can be used for SRT and DdRT, your best option is the Hitch Hiker. You can switch from SRT-DdRT-SRT without making any alterations to there Hitch Hiker. You just change your Tie In Point.

will have a look at the hitch hiker, i now have a zig zag on loan for a bit so will give it a try.

i must admit i have been using the lockjack with the rope wrench mk1 for a good while and never really had problems with it not engaging, but i understand that neither zz or lj were designed with srt in mind.

thanks carl

will have a look at the hitch hiker, i now have a zig zag on loan for a bit so will give it a try.

i must admit i have been using the lockjack with the rope wrench mk1 for a good while and never really had problems with it not engaging, but i understand that neither zz or lj were designed with srt in mind.

thanks carl

I didn't say the LJ won't engage. Quite the opposite in fact where the LJ takes your weight without the RW doing it's thing.

The idea of the RW is that it takes half your weight so that your hitch doesn't bind up. This doesn't happen with the LJ therefore the LJ takes most of your weight and it isn't designed to do that without your rope attached to the shackle on top of it.