Ustulina Deusta

scale90

Hi David,

I've been back on the site today and checked the remaining trees for fruiting bodies etc. One is showing fruiting bodies approximately quarter of the way around the stem approximately 4" up the stem from ground level. The crown is also showing signs of die back. The stem has a heavy lean towards a main road (constant flow of traffic), the railings/wall of the opposite property and the stone boundary wall of the site. The tree is covered by a T.P.O.

Would I be right to advise in the felling of the tree due to the risks involved if it were to fail. My gut feeling is to feel but I don't want to jump the gun.

Thanks

With the described level of target it would seem prudent to err on the side of caution.

I've been managing some trees infected by K. d by re-balancing the weight toward a fail away from target. But it sounds like your situation doesn't warrant that style of management.

Do you have any images of the tree(s) in situ?

No sorry, I haven't taken any photo's, the condition will only deteriorate over time. As it stands at the moment it should be safe to climb as it is a sectional fell. If left it could possibly lead to hiring a cherry picker etc which will be an added cost to the client.

Thanks for the help it is really appreciated.:thumbup1:

Hi David,

I've been back on the site today and checked the remaining trees for fruiting bodies etc. One is showing fruiting bodies approximately quarter of the way around the stem approximately 4" up the stem from ground level. The crown is also showing signs of die back. The stem has a heavy lean towards a main road (constant flow of traffic), the railings/wall of the opposite property and the stone boundary wall of the site. The tree is covered by a T.P.O.

Would I be right to advise in the felling of the tree due to the risks involved if it were to fail. My gut feeling is to feel but I don't want to jump the gun.

Thanks

It's pretty hard to predict how fast it will spread without knowing the site. sounds like poor drainage though.

I'd be keen to hear what you find out...........

do you mean what the 'Dutch Mycologist' said ? or what is in 'Fungal Strategies' ?

I'm a little confused

Gerrit J. Kiezer (the Dutch Mycologist) posted this on an old thread about transmission via root contact.......

......As far as I know, there is no reliable research proving the mycelium of K. deusta is capable of transmission to not yet infected, but damaged or not well protected (Tilia : ectomycorrhizae) tree roots of close to an infected tree standing trees by root-root contact.

Normally transmission to roots from other trees takes place in a much better protected form, like f.i. melanine covered rhizomorphs of Armillaria, then through the very vulnerable hyphae of the mycelium of a pathogen.

So if you would be able to reliably document (microscopical, second opinion by an expert) root-root transmission by the mycelium, you would be the first :thumbup1: to provide evidence of the possibility of root-root transmission.

I believe Gerrit had access to the work Swartze, Engels & Mattheck

do you mean what the 'Dutch Mycologist' said ? or what is in 'Fungal Strategies' ?

I'm a little confused

Gerrit J. Kiezer (the Dutch Mycologist) posted this on an old thread about transmission via root contact.......

I believe Gerrit had access to the work Swartze, Engels & Mattheck

Sorry, I thought you were gong to look at Sinclair or Greig. I've already stated all that S,E & M said about it.