Carpel tunnel symptoms?

grtforestry

Had the operation done four years ago to relieve the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel syndrome. It puts you out of action completely for two weeks, and you shouldn't do heavy work for two months. Symptoms are completely gone.

Symptoms are:

- Numbness/tingling sensation in the palm, thumb, index finger, middle finger, and thumb side of the ring finger.

- Weak hand grip.

You can reduce the symptoms a little by sleeping with the fingers stretched out (e.g. hand wedged between the mattress and the pillow).

Pictures below:

1. During operation (taken with my mobile phone, local anesthetic).

2. Nine days after operation

carpal-9.jpg.ce73b4d72c9aada157cc67d082656b12.jpg

carpal-op.jpg.400dbe57f9137bc8e593327cfa99cb5c.jpg

i suffer it effects both hands and makes the thumb and next two fingers feel like theyve gone to sleep yet ring finger and little finger unaffected. its worst in mornings and at night you can get physio help but ive been on drs waiting list for over six months so given up

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

What he said above. I have had the same, affecting all except little finger. As I understand it the little finger is never affected. You can where a wrist brace at night that helps a lot. 66fit Elite Stabilized Wrist Support. It can be worn during the day as well but would not last very long and is a little restrictive.

But the op is necessary because it can be quite a problem in old age.

What he said above. I have had the same, affecting all except little finger. As I understand it the little finger is never affected. You can where a wrist brace at night that helps a lot. 66fit Elite Stabilized Wrist Support. It can be worn during the day as well but would not last very long and is a little restrictive.

But the op is necessary because it can be quite a problem in old age.

The nerves to the little finger, and the little-finger side of the ring finger do not go through the carpal tunnel, and they are therefore not affected by a constriction of the tunnel ligaments.

I was diagnosed with CTS in both hands about 2 yrs ago. The symptoms are still there but with a few changes in activity and the way I work it has improved. I know that I'll need surgery eventually but at the moment it's not something I can afford to do (12 weeks of climbing essentially I reckon). I used to do a lot of rock climbing, especially bouldering. I cut this out and concentrated on more ropes climbs with bigger holds and not so much pinching! At work I tried to consciously loosen my grip on saws (within reason!) and try to climb the tree using my legs to progress upwards whenever possible instead of hawling myself up the rope. One thing I've really been meaning to do is to try some new climbing systems and get more friction out the system. Cutting down on caffine and not smoking are said to aid circulation but I confess I have no hope in meeting that criteria!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App