Stihl 018

spike47

Hi there

I have a Old Stihl Chainsaw , I can not get it to start , good spark , but everytime I try to start it the plug gets wet , that is with and without using the choke , it seems to have good compression , but if I pull it over slowly , I can here hissing coming out of the carb inlet , is there some sort of reed valve for these 2 stroke engines ! .

cheer

spike

Scoring, Vertical lines on the piston. The piston should look smooth with no ridges or grooves.

Hi

Thanks for your reply , sorry I did not know what you meant , the piston looks ok both sides from muffler side and from carb side .everything seems to be ok , spark seems to be ok , there is fuel getting there , I can not really understand why it will not start .

Maybe I am not pulling it hard enough , it did fire up for a second or so when I first tried it a couple of days back , I tried to restart it but no luck , so removed the plug and it was dry so I thought it was a fuel problem , I then removed the carb and give it a clean out and check the Diaphragms , now it is getting fuel and there is a spark , not 100% sure how you tell whether it is a good spark ! .

cheers

spike

Put a spot of neat fuel down the plug hole, heat the plug with a blowlamp or gas ring and put it back in quickly then try starting it on fast idle setting. It usually helps to give the motor a little kick up the backside.

Put a spot of neat fuel down the plug hole, heat the plug with a blowlamp or gas ring and put it back in quickly then try starting it on fast idle setting. It usually helps to give the motor a little kick up the backside.

Hi there

OK got it started , I put a little oil in cylinder and it started up straight away , so I think it will need a set of rings at least , will strip it down and see what condition everything is , thanks for your help .

cheers

spike