New Zealand in Winter

Red.Squirrel

So hopefully around this time next year I should be jetting off to Australia and New Zealand with my girlfriend before having to settle down with a job and bills. My question is though, obviously it would be winter time over there, so is it really worth it or would the weather ruin it?

We're wanting to do all the typical bungee jumping, skydiving and bridge climbing, but we also wanna be able to relax in the sun. From what I've read northern Australia would be fine, if not preferable around this time but everywhere else might just be wind and rain. Is everything even open during the winter, would hate for the main tourist traps to be closed.

Basically any advice would be great. Especially if there would be a good way of doing it, like south island New Zealand first before winter kicks in and work our way up to north Aussie.

edit - Would appreciate some info for things to do over there too, anything you loved or anything that was just a waste of money?

Edited by Red.Squirrel
Yet more questions!

south isalnd in winter is a must. fiordland is better as all the waterfalls have bigger cascades, mtns are covered in snow, thermal rivers/streams feel warmer when theres snow around, coastlines seem more rugged. Nevis bungy at qtown is mean-136m freefall. lord of rings trips are waste of time, mustering on horseback is cool, petrified forest at the catlins is a must, west coast is awesome,pancake rocks, heli board on the glaciers, kayak around abel tasman, just drivin round, bouldering at castle hill.......... there is sooooooooo much

ditto,start of winter here just now mountains just coverd in snow,they should be open in a month or 2,although its been pissing it down lately,then at the end of the ski season you can go skiing then the beach in the afternoon :thumbup:

plenty to do in winter mate, all of the above plus skiing and boarding. Ice climbing at fox glacier and franz joseph. Beautiful clear winters skies on the south island. Does get cold though. Up north you'll pretty much find a lot of rain. Pretty sure most tourist attractions stay open, will just be quieter. Winter is my favourite time over here. Wrap up warm.

Thanks for advice everyone, think we may just dabble in a bit of skiing but mainly stick to the tourist routes, I used to board a while back but my better half has never tried so probs just a taster will do us. Ice climbing sounds like a good idea, always wanted a go.

Like the idea of it being quieter, less chance of things being booked up and hopefully I've heard places are quite a bit cheaper too.

small club fields are good sometimes mainly cos not many people go there and can get sum good snow,but t-bars and nutcrackers are a pain,unlike the big ski feilds were they have chair lifts,

And for the record snowboarders are cooler than skiers :001_tongue:

small club fields are good sometimes mainly cos not many people go there and can get sum good snow,but t-bars and nutcrackers are a pain,unlike the big ski feilds were they have chair lifts,

And for the record snowboarders are cooler than skiers :001_tongue:

the smaller fields are the best, temple basin-1 hr walk up steep snow but purw powder once you get there.heaven......:001_tt1:

RS it is what you make of it. Probably wont be getting much lounging in the sun, but you will get some awesome shots for the photo album. I think it would be one of the most beautiful places I've seen in the winter.

Good to hear you might be back for the end of the season Ad. You know i'm always keen. Drew would be good to get a visit down this way at some point this winter from you and Mr Smith.