GDD "Growing Degree Days" and the ISA approach

Im Hoping Mr Treeseer (Guy) a certified master arborist will step in here and tell us all about a thing called growing degree days and how fundamental this is to the American approach.

So Guy, time for you to teach me something about this American aproach:thumbup1:

I had an Aussie mate on the blower earlier and I need to get up to speed on this and the ISA approach which ive not really entertained untill I grew up and realised that while it aint perfect it IS the means to achieve what we REALLY need here in the U.K a recognition for the qualified arborist and a removal of the unlevel playing field that every tom dick and harry can play in.

Tony, not sure what this refers to. GDD refers to phenology and predicting:

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/Web/049DegreeDays.pdf

Your mate from from oz may have had something upside down under. :confused1: Or the phone connection was glitchy?

He is a certified arborist, served plenty of time in the states, reliably informed that GGD is a big part of an arborists working world in the States/ISA regime?

Either way I know VERY little about it and you seem to have a better view on it, so cough up!

He is a certified arborist, served plenty of time in the states, reliably informed that GGD is a big part of an arborists working world in the States/ISA regime?

Either way I know VERY little about it and you seem to have a better view on it, so cough up!

Tony, I just visited the ISA site here stateside and I believe my fellow member here in North Carolina is correct. Visit ISA and type in your subject matter.

easy-lift guy

It wasnt just about GGD anyway, was rather hoping guy would tell us more about this system way of being, staunch arboriculture and unlike it is here you cant do the job less you have certification at a state level.

I was told some time ago that we in the u.k will NEVER have a system like gas/CORGI, or NIC sparks in this country applied to treework, but they do in the states

... this system way of being, staunch arboriculture and unlike it is here you cant do the job less you have certification at a state level.

I was told some time ago that we in the u.k will NEVER have a system like gas/CORGI, or NIC sparks in this country applied to treework, but they do in the states

Sorry mate crazy rumor that--:sneaky2:--this is the land of the free for the most part; anyone can do anything, without a ticket: for chainsaw or diagnosis or pruning or risk assessment.

for better or for worse we do not embrace regulation; if an NPTC was proposed, it would be mightily fought by most. :secruity: