Cs38 pole rescue

David Bernstein

Hi all,it's a while since we covered it at college and my cs38 is looming , just want to clarify when rescuing from a pole and installing false anchor for belay line from ground does rescuer descend with injured party by being clipped onto belay line and injured harness and both are lowered by ground crew?

Cheers

david

Thanks Dan , we were only taught to send them down by themselves but reading assessment schedule it refers to direct attachment to rescuers harness which infers you always go down with them? Maybe as you say commenting on different scenarios shows knowledge of different methods for different situations. Cheers

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The quickest safest way bud, doing the course and then doing it for real is totally different.

Just like any job i do, ill always have my gear ready to go near the tree worked on and on taller trees have an access line in (if I'm grounding), but again depense on how your out fit works 👍

Gd luck

When I did my course, it was two points of attachment.

So bridge to bridge (injured parties harness to rescuers harness - using a prussik loop usually) and injured climber descending on the attached belay.

You the rescuer stay on your own system for the descent.

>> The injured party in training / test scenario should always keep their original system attached to them as a safety back up. <<

James :thumbup1:

Thanks Dan , we were only taught to send them down by themselves but reading assessment schedule it refers to direct attachment to rescuers harness which infers you always go down with them? Maybe as you say commenting on different scenarios shows knowledge of different methods for different situations. Cheers

Yes thats it.

> Spike up using flip line with your supplementary climbing line as a back up above your flip - using either a running bowline or karabiner choked on the stem.

> Spike past the casualty - use both ends of your climbing line to achieve this and avoid spiking your casualty in the leg or worse!

> Establish your false anchor above everything - usually its a long sling with a swing cheek pulley attached so you need the height to achieve a good secure anchor.

> Secure your belay rope into the pulley anchor point.

> Come down to your casualty on your system, attach the prussik from your bridge to their bridge - keep their system attached to the pole / them - first attachment point.

> Attached the belay rope to their bridge = second attachment point.

> Get your ground crew to set up the belay using a munter hitch and prussik in the usual set up around a good neighbouring tree.

> Begin lowering the casualty through good clear comms to the ground for the belay, lowering yourself on your system as you go.

> And in the training / test / practice scenario - get your casualty to tend their friction hitch - keep attached as a back up back up.

Also if your rescue scenario is for an unconscious patient then use your lanyard as an additional sling around them to keep them upright - over one shoulder and under the other arm is best.

I think, after ive read that 5 times over, that is it - a type 3 pole rescue.

James :thumbup1:

Thanks James so if you spike up as rescuer on a pole ,you install a false anchor for the belay line and a climb system for rescuer?

Thats in the tests, here out in the real world we (as in who i work for)only have the one anchor point an thats to install line to bring the injured person down

Oh I quite agree the real world is massively different, however to tick the right box on the assessment you just have to play the game :biggrin:

Lol the way i read it was, its been awhile since the op did the test and was doing a refresher lol.

So basically James is correct the person to be rescued will go up, tie in his false anchor. then u pop up go above the casualty place ur false anchor in. Get back down, attach to the casualty, depending on the scenario will depend or how you bring them down.

Go through ur book and keeping reading it bud