Trying to sell a business, where?

Big Mark

Hi all, This is not me trying to get more people looking at the business I have for sale this is a genuine question.

We are selling up our tree surgery business in France, we have placed an add in the classifieds section of arbtalk but was just wondering if there is any where else I could advertise it in England that other tree surgeons would be looking.

Has anyone had any experience in sell in a business like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Hello Mark,

Keep it going though, those figures will remain important to help justify the price.

I've often thought about the long term future and tried to divorce myself from being the personality behind the business so that it stands alone.

I would consider tuning your web site prior to any sale to take the importance of YOU away from the business and make it seem more independent.

Best of luck with it.

Chat soon

Regards

Ty

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think what I will do is break the company up. So I will sell the van and equipment separately and if I can sell the name and the work we have booked in for a small price I'll do that.

It does not bother me that its not sold as I thought its a tall order to sell this kind of business here in France its just a shame because we must have close on €10k worth of work for September booked in and my new business is ready to take off so I need to be looking after that as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark

What are you moving on to Mark?

Every Arb needs another string to his bow and a future plan that doesn't make you ache so much...hhh!

I wouldn't rush too much to sell, my garden round (client list only) was snapped up back in 2006 and has again recently been sold for far more again.

Equipment will go for a good price here and there are arbs hoping to make a life here and looking for a way in.

Best of luck with it all friend!

Ty

Thanks TY looks like I'll be putting some equipment on leboncoin. The new business is property marketing, so if someone is selling or renting there house or want to showcase there gite then we can do this for them. We are offering aerial photography & videography as well as all the usual ground photos and videos. I did 2 year A level photography when we lived in England so I love anything to do with photography. Last week was our first payed week and 7 weeks ago this was just an idea in my head. Check out the new website we have done, its 90% done Home - dragonfly media let me know what you think. BTW T33eco damn it you found me out :-)

I like the website Mark. Really nice photography. Almost makes me want to go down there now.

If you're still considering selling it might be worth considering being tied in for a year or two to help the new owner to get going. It's an option and it would maximise your return. The challenge most sellers face is their view of what the business is worth compared to what the market thinks and is prepared to pay. If the key individual, as TY said, is too much of the business it's virtually worthless as a commodity, assets notwithstanding.

Any business in any business sector has to be able to run without the regular input of the owner to command any sort of sale value. Then sale value is based on profits and assets. Goodwill is worth very little these days so if you're prepared to stand by the new owner and maintain contracts, make introductions to good clients etc you should be able to reap some of the ongoing profits.

Thanks Paul, good advice. I did put on the add that I will help when needed but I see what your saying about working with the new owner. Glad you like the photography work we are doing.

I am going to do a photo/video shoot of us up some trees soon, we did an aerial shot of an oak tree being feld the other day, looked great.