MS180 Carb needed, I think!

pulsar46

Had a compression test all's fine there, newish saw with only about 30 hours use, runs like a bag of spuds, changed spark plus 3 different ones:thumbdown: cant find any air leaks, fuel is getting through no prob, spark is strong, adjusted tick over screw a million times, before anyone says, yes correct fuel mixture in it at all times.

I'm thinking new carb needed, if anyone has had issues like this did you sort it? and anyone know a place in northwest I can get a carb cheap, and/or buy a secondhand MS180 or MS170 chainsaw?

Cheers for any replies

Get a cheap Chinese carb off ebay (seriously) They give you hi/lo adjustable screws rather than what you have. You may have to modifly your air filter housing to adjust them tho. It will wake the saw up over the original carb.

There is a uk seller selling these to at nearly double the price tho if your desperate and want it in the next few days.

New General CARBURETOR CARB For STIHL MS170 MS180 017 018 Chain Saw ZAMA | eBay

Its not worth the price of buying a diaphragm kit when a new carb is almost the same price and gives you more tuning potential.

I assume you have replaced the fuel line or your 100% happy with it? They can go soft and may seem ok just blowing through it etc but in actual use can restrict fuel. Ive seen a few where the carbs or fuel line are at fault.

Edited by wisecobandit

Thanks Bandit, i'll double check fuel line but as I say its only had bout 3 months use in the saws whole life, I'd be shocked at a faulty fuel line, but hey worth a try :001_smile:

Get a cheap Chinese carb off ebay (seriously) They give you hi/lo adjustable screws rather than what you have. You may have to modifly your air filter housing to adjust them tho. It will wake the saw up over the original carb.

There is a uk seller selling these to at nearly double the price tho if your desperate and want it in the next few days.

New General CARBURETOR CARB For STIHL MS170 MS180 017 018 Chain Saw ZAMA | eBay

Its not worth the price of buying a diaphragm kit when a new carb is almost the same price and gives you more tuning potential.

I assume you have replaced the fuel line or your 100% happy with it? They can go soft and may seem ok just blowing through it etc but in actual use can restrict fuel. Ive seen a few where the carbs or fuel line are at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah just noticed the first one is like mine, also notice the first link is the one with no L&H screws, on closer look at the second one it looks like it will fit but the L&H screws would not be easy to get at so holes would need to be drilled in the handle of the chainsaw, there is already a hole on the same part of the handle for the tick over screw which is in a different place on the second carb, so 3 more holes would need to be drilled into the handle, thus having 4 holes around the same area, in my opinion would make the handle very weak and it my break under use, just a thought..

Yeah your right on the first one only having the single screw, sorry.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-General-Walbro-Repair-CARBURETOR-CARB-For-STIHL-MS170-180-017-018-Chain-Saw-/170990646930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cfd63692

Yes whatever you go for you will need to drill holes for adjustment. I actually set the T screw using a pair of needle nose pliers with the lid off the engine rather than drill a hole for it. I think I ground away a bit of the airbox to to be able to get to the h and l screws.

It turns it into a new saw tho with a muffler mod aswell.

Some have used 023 carbs on them but all the above mods will still apply.

Edited by wisecobandit