stihl 020 AV.The metal one.

raker

Borrowed the above off a mate for the day and as chance would have it the recoil starter stopped working.It just pulls out without engaging.

What it is,is the return springs on a couple of metal pawls attached to the flywheel.Both shot.

A trawl of ebay, online spares etc revealed nothing.Local dealer is unlikely to have them.However they`re just light springs so anything similar should fit.

Anyone have a similar problem and sourced a couple of similar springs?

I dont like borrowing tools and giving them back defective, so i`d be greatfull for some suggestions.

Cheers chaps.

Any kind of torsion spring of a similar size should do it with a little modification.

Have you got anything knocking about that you could try?

Trigger springs usually have that same short bend on one end, so try something like 1117 182 4500 they're only pence to buy.

The flywheel comes with them if you buy a new one lol.... (only messing but true) . As you say it appears they are unavailable using that part number.

It however shares the same flywheel as the ms200t and fs200/fs202 but I think the recoil side is different (don't think they use the aforementioned spring) but spud/rich or garden kit should be able to answer that.

The flywheel comes with them if you buy a new one lol.... (only messing but true) . As you say it appears they are unavailable using that part number.

It however shares the same flywheel as the ms200t and fs200/fs202 but I think the recoil side is different (don't think they use the aforementioned spring) but spud/rich or garden kit should be able to answer that.

Yep the ms200 flywheel is different. It has fixed studs for the pickup and movable ones on the recoil.

The later 020 saws are the same as the 200 but not the heavy metal ones.

What your after is a torsion spring. 0000 998 1104. Sadly obsolete for this saw, but maybe able to get creative with some other springs off another saw or machine. Will be a case of looking.

If you have no joy then you should get away with using stihl p/n 4128 182 4501 approx. 64pence each and available through stihl. That's the torsion spring that's used on the fs200 and looks very similar.

torsionspring_zps0ee488f0.jpg

That weird. The parts lists I have for the fs200 don't have a torsion spring....strange.