Hayter 48 Blade brake clutch removal help

tony-d

Hi Forum i have a friend who needs to replace the blade brake clutch on his hayter 48 mower.

Does anyone have any idea if its an easy job to do?

if so can someone kindly post some basic instructions and i will pass them on to him.

I have had such good advice from this forum on my roller issues i thought i would try and help a friend in need out.

thank you forum

Simples.

Blade off, then undo the Allen headed mushroom bolt in the centre.

The bottom half of the BBC then comes off. There is a good chance that you only need to replace this bit as it is the bit with the bearing and the friction linings.

If you get a replacement BBC from Hayter you have to get the complete unit at over £100.

But as a John Deere dealer I use the John Deere unit which is exactly the same, but JD supply just the wearing half at under £50. I sell loads to Hayter owners.

If you do need to replace the upper unit (actuator) then remove the shoulder bolt, disconnect the cable and pull (or lever) off the old unit. If very stiff a bolt can be wound down the centre to push it off.

Hi garden kit if you were a little closer i would drop a bottle of something in to you for all your kind help in the last few days, you have been brilliant.

i have forwarded the details to my friend and he has attempted it but he has come across some problems :-(

the first problem the allen key type screws that hold the blade in place are seized solid so he cant get the blade off.

the second problem is the centre bottle will not loosen as the main crankshaft keeps spinning he doesn't really know how to block it still so he can try and undo the nut.

any ideas??

sorry for taking up loads of your time.

regards

Tony.

Yep, the two allen key headed bolts holding the blade can be right pigs to get out

1 soak them in easing oil or WD40 type thing

2 the allen key hole is probably ruined by now. You can try hitting them round with a chisel or punch, or weld a thin nut to them and undo with a spanner, or, as you will need a new BBC anyway, grind the heads off.

The centre bolt too, can be a pig. I always use an air impact gun, that never fails.

However, the only way to stop the crank turning is to engage the BBC, but that only works if the BBC is in good enough order to lock the blade to the crank, but as he wants to replace it, then its probably not.

I fear a trip to the local repair shop may be in order