Root Systems - Asymmetry when growing in a raised bank or hedge

kevinjohnsonmbe

The fungi is obvious isnt it!:001_rolleyes:

as for the girdling roots thread, havent even looked at it, thats Guy (treeseers) pet subject and steering well away as I think......

Gorgeous conks and yes the correlation with a big girdler hits you in the face.

re pets, many in the US have taken to aggressive intervention with girdlers. and like you i have many pets. :idea:

re roots on a slope, why not just dig down and look?

Edited by treeseer

Sloth, apologies, I think your post appeared as I was typing my reply so I missed it initially but caught it after I'd finished typing. Which Guy were you referring to?? Watson by any chance?? If it was, I had a quick call with him earlier and he gave me sound and sage advice!!

I was referring to Guy Meilluer, aka treeseer (spelling?) who seems to express a lot of interest in girdling roots.

The fungi is obvious isnt it!:001_rolleyes:

as for the girdling roots thread, havent even looked at it, thats Guy (treeseers) pet subject and steering well away as I think......

The pic is small and blurry on my phone but looks to be I.dryadeus (or is Pseudoinnonotus now?), tree form looks wrong, but I guess that could be the bank location and girdling (supporting?) root throwing it off.

You should check out the girdling roots thread, some good images and pause for thought. I don't think its as black and white as they are all bad or good, go on and have a gander...