What do you charge for Surveys?

ADB328

Hi All

I've been offered some work surveying for notable diseases and wondered what prices people charge for the day/hour?

I've passed my PTI course a couple of years ago and have been surveying for about 3 years but haven't done anything privately so wasn't sure what to charge if you can point me in the right direction in what to charge i would appreciate that.

Thanks all

Hi ADB

You need to be charging around £300 per day for general diagnosis work like you describe.

I did work for a well known electricity Co last year to evaluate a wind farm and they wouldn't pay more than £250 per day + traveling expenses (which were minimal as only 55 miles away) but then there was nearly 5 weeks work in total so I accepted.

Obviously, if the job is a BS5837 survey for a new Supermarket then you are going to charge more than you would for a PTI report on a single Beech tree in the garden of a semi.

You will soon find your feet when you see what some of the bigger consultant firms get away with

Hope that helps

Jonny

Thanks for the reply, I spoke to the guy today and he says the surveys will be for notifiable diseases so Chalara, Oak processionary moths etc etc.

He's also quoting £100 a day which to me doesn't seem a lot compared to what you have mentioned is that about average that type of work/survey??

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I spoke to the guy today and he says the surveys will be for notifiable diseases so Chalara, Oak processionary moths etc etc.

He's also quoting £100 a day which to me doesn't seem a lot compared to what you have mentioned is that about average that type of work/survey??

Thanks

Its still a consultants role that hes offering labourers pay for?

I would tell him to keep his money, do not undervalue yourself!

Its a shame as the experience would be good but as you said i wouldn't want to undervalue myself, what would be acceptable as i will negotiate with him over the price, £200 a day, that should cover insurance, travelling costs etc?

what do you think?

I think the work that's being described hardly needs a consultant to complete. If it's only a matter of identifying a small number of pests and diseases, maybe the tree genus they are on, its the sort of work someone with a limited knowledge could do.

It's hardly VTA or QTRA is it. Hence the low rates.

This is a tricky answer now!

If its only a small ammount of common pests and diseases then I agree with Gary, however there could be quite a number of different types including fungal colonization, ie K. deusta which can be difficult to spot, the client could come back at you at a later date! plus any reports to write.

If you are happy, try him @£200 to gain the experience, if he turns you down, walk!