Localised distribution of Fomes fomentarius

David Humphries

Is that now flipped to saprophytic mode David with the decline of the branch?

I'm not so sure it's as simple as that Jake.

The fruitbody is just a part of the fungus and I suspect that it's mycelium runs down at least the length of this long branch and possibly back into the trunk.

The fungus will usually take the easy route to sporolation, which in this case probably has led it to fruit where there is a lot of dysfunction and decay so it can produce the sporocarp with the least amount of effort.

I'd imagine there's probably a bit more to it than how I've just described it.

I also imagine that a vast number of fungal species act both parasitically and saprophytically at different times on the same host. I think this is also true of mycorrhyzal fungi.

^ Indeed. As with any living organism, it'd seek to get the optimal results by expending the least energy (hence it would sporulate there, I would imagine). Could it not also be a localised exit strategy, as the mycelium local to that area has perhaps expended resources (or is starting to markedly expend them)?

Nice eyes on that one, Alinicoll! Worthy of the Fomes Hat Award, I would say.

I'm not so sure it's as simple as that Jake.

The fruitbody is just a part of the fungus and I suspect that it's mycelium runs down at least the length of this long branch and possibly back into the trunk.

The fungus will usually take the easy route to sporolation, which in this case probably has led it to fruit where there is a lot of dysfunction and decay so it can produce the sporocarp with the least amount of effort.

I'd imagine there's probably a bit more to it than how I've just described it.

I also imagine that a vast number of fungal species act both parasitically and saprophytically at different times on the same host. I think this is also true of mycorrhyzal fungi.

Thanks for taking the time to post your response David, I had no idea mycelium could extend that far along a trees structure as you mention.

Chris I was on your train of thought also with the fungi looking for an easy exit with wood reserves depleting in the area.

Now that a fruit body has emerged, I wonder if it will concentrate it's energy back towards the trunk?

Thanks for taking the time to post your response David, I had no idea mycelium could extend that far along a trees structure as you mention.

Chris I was on your train of thought also with the fungi looking for an easy exit with wood reserves depleting in the area.

Now that a fruit body has emerged, I wonder if it will concentrate it's energy back towards the trunk?

Resource allocation in fungi is interesting, and from reading Fungal Decomposition of Wood in the past there's plenty to think about on that front.

I did a little post on it here - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/90817-arboricultural-styled-fact-day-28.html#post1363306

Be prepared to spend £800 at this moment in time!

It's also being re-written, at least in parts, by one of the students at Cardiff (Emma). Or that's what I understand, when she explained it to me and Alinicoll. I may be gloriously incorrect.

Just found that out myself😨 and they were used from amazon, hopefully the new one will be more friendly on my wallet.

• 4 weeks later...
This one shows heavily degraded cellulose and lignin in cross section with one small compartmented area untouched by the white rot of the Fomes.

[ATTACH]203990[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203994[/ATTACH].

That's a great photo of the cross section David. What happened to the back third?